Need help deciding on an EDC light

Firehwk

Newly Enlightened
I've been doing a lot of research lately and have narrowed my choices down to either the Surefire E1B or the Ra Clicky High CRI.

I'm currently using a 6P, but it is a little big to carry around in my pocket.

I don't have any RCR123s (use a 17670 in my 6P) and was planing on buying a box of primaries when I get the light, so the fact that the E1B can't use RCRs isn't that big of a deal (though it might be nice to upgrade in the future).

My main question is, which light would be better for use in a city/small college campus? The Ra with the wider, High CRI beam, or the E1B with the narrower, longer throwing beam?

And if anyone has both of them, or has a 6P size host, could you post a size comparison pic for me?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Last edited:

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Re: Need nelp deciding on an EDC light

I've been doing a lot of research lately and have narrowed my choices down to either the Surefire E1B or the Ra Clicky High CRI.

I'm currently using a 6P, but it is a little big to carry around in my pocket.

I don't have any RCR123s (use a 17670 in my 6P) and was planing on buying a box of primaries when I get the light, so the fact that the E1B can't use RCRs isn't that big of a deal (though it might be nice to upgrade in the future).

My main question is, which light would be better for use in a city/small college campus? The Ra with the wider, High CRI beam, or the E1B with the narrower, longer throwing beam?

And if anyone has both of them, or has a 6P size host, could you post a size comparison pic for me?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Edit: Crap, that should be help, not nelp >_< could a mod or someone fix it?

Go with the HDS/Ra Clicky. It is more versatile and better suited for EDC due to it's 4 programmable levels and its ultra-low levels. The traditional beam from the Clicky will also be more suitable for most task as opposed to the tight beam of a dedicated thrower such as the E1B. The high CRI has a better tint and it comes into it's own outdoors or if you want to use it in photography. If you don't intend to use it for these purposes, I would think the 120lumen ($99) or the 140lumen Executive ($139) will suit your needs better. The 120 is the Best Bang For Your Buck in the Clicky range IMO. If you opt for this version you can use the price difference to buy the 17670 battery tube/tailcap and you will be able to re-use the 17670 that you already have.

Last edited:

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened

I agree, go with the HDS. Mine get way more use than my E1B, although the backup is a great light as well.

I have both and will post pics in a few unless someone beats me to it.

BTW you can edit your title by choosing "edit" and then "advanced"

Belstaff1464

Enlightened

I noticed that you joined in 2006 but this is your first post !!! That must be some lurking record !!!!

Firehwk

Newly Enlightened
I agree, go with the HDS. Mine get way more use than my E1B, although the backup is a great light as well.

I have both and will post pics in a few unless someone beats me to it.

BTW you can edit your title by choosing "edit" and then "advanced"

That's strange, I edited after I noticed the typo, but the title field wasn't there.

I noticed that you joined in 2006 but this is your first post !!! That must be some lurking record !!!!

Wow, didn't notice that. Must have made an account when I got my 6p, but then totally forgot about it for like 4 years. Haha.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast

Left to right:

RA Clicky High CRI, E1B w/Z68 tail, 6P w/Z59 tail, G2ZL

FWIW I think the RA has the more useful beam of the two.(even though I've been EDCing the E1B more lately):shrug:

Firehwk

Newly Enlightened

Left to right:

RA Clicky High CRI, E1B w/Z68 tail, 6P w/Z59 tail, G2ZL

FWIW I think the RA has the more useful beam of the two.(even though I've been EDCing the E1B more lately):shrug:

Wow, This waiting for approval thing is kinda fun. Belstaff1464 and Captain Spaulding - hopefully my other post will be approved before this one, but if not, thanks for the info.

think2x - Thanks a ton for the picture! and is there any particular reason why you are choosing the e1b currently?

Edit: Haha, I saw what you did there Mr. Moderator.

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
No "real" reason. I have been remodeling a church with tall (20 foot) ceilings and the E1B has the edge in throw. They both do the job just fine. I tend to rotate through all my pocket-able lights. The RA Clicky is "The Total Package" of pocket EDC lights IMO though.

Gaffle

Enlightened

Go with the HDS/Ra Clicky. It is more versatile and better suited for EDC due to it's 4 programmable levels and its ultra-low levels. The traditional beam from the Clicky will also be more suitable for most task as opposed to the tight beam of a dedicated thrower such as the E1B. The high CRI has a better tint and it comes into it's own outdoors or if you want to use it in photography. If you don't intend to use it for these purposes, I would think the 120lumen ($99) or the 140lumen Executive ($139) will suit your needs better. The 120 is the Best Bang For Your Buck in the Clicky range IMO. If you opt for this version you can use the price difference to buy the 17670 battery tube/tailcap and you will be able to re-use the 17670 that you already have.

Awwww snap! Problem SOLVED!:thumbsup:

Firehwk

Newly Enlightened
No "real" reason. I have been remodeling a church with tall (20 foot) ceilings and the E1B has the edge in throw. They both do the job just fine. I tend to rotate through all my pocket-able lights. The RA Clicky is "The Total Package" of pocket EDC lights IMO though.

Ok, That makes sense.

It's looking like the High CRI will be my next light. Thanks for all the help guys!

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
The High CRI is the one to get for the all around package IMHO. Its the one of my 3 that gets the most use and carry for sure.

Good call on the High CRI!