Do I have HIR PAR46 Spots???

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Do I have HIR PAR46 spots on my old cop car?

I bought a 2000 Crown Vic Police Interceptor a while ago. I've read on the Crownvic.net forum (or somewhere else, memory is imperfect) that the stock Unity spots only came with glass PAR46 lamps for two or three years, that the present spots use halogen bulbs and plastic lens/reflector units.

My spotlights are glass, and the halogen capsule in the center doesn't look like most halogen spots I've used. It's elongated with a spherical section where the filament is located. Do I have an HIR bulb here?

I do know the spot puts out quite a bit of light. I must admit to using it on lonely rural roads, to supplement my high beams (the StarrHID headlights I bought have a really nice low beam and nice even coverage on low or high, but they are not long range lights - the plan includes installation of a pair of NIB Cibie 5-3/4" H1 high beams).

Inquiring minds want to know... :)

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I think I've answered my own question. I took the car inside the plant today, to dry the windshield and apply Rain-X. I opened up both spotlights.

The writing was VERY faint, covered by dirt, and when I tried to brush the dirt gently away the writing went away. But I managed to make out 13V and 80W and the H at the beginning of a number, as well as "spot" at the end of a line.

After a bit of searching, I'm pretty sure it's this:

http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lamph7680x.html

The H7680x is the HIR bulb, and the layout of the writing in the online image matches what I could make out on the bulbs. As does the appearance of the bulb.

Looks like this one beats the old standby, the 4537 landing light...

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
You know, I initially misunderstood that site. I thought there was a halogen H7680 and a halogen HIR H7680x. Guess I need to review my GE sealed beam nomenclature. Now that I understand both are HIR lamps, I may have H7680 or H7680x. But mostl likely H7680x, because that site I referenced specifically says "98 Crown Victoria Police Car Spotlight." And I'm driving a 2000 CVPI.

Now I'm curious. I'll have to see if there's a way to tell 'em apart. In any case, I'm pretty close to certain, and I know replacements can be had. :thumbsup:

Overdrive to 16V??? I'll BET it's bright! Not much life, but BRIGHT!

Last edited: