Need some help modding a Dorcy 220 Lumen Rechargeable light

sethistruckin

Newly Enlightened
I would like to know if there is an LED that I can swap into my Dorcy Cree XRE 220 Lumen light that would increase lumens. This light is a good thrower already because of the deep smooth reflector, but I am just curious if there are any newer LEDs that would increase the light output.

I would be able to power it with 2 CR123A's with a dummy cell, or 3 CR123A's.
I would lose the recharging capability but frankly that doesn't matter to me. The current battery is a weak 700mah Ni-CD 4.8 volt battery.

I have actually powered the light with 3 CR123As in its current setup for maybe 60 seconds and I saw a significant increase in light. However I am worried that may be too much power for the current LED or driver to handle.

Can anyone chime in and recommend an emitter swap or shed some light on whether or not I would be overpowering the current LED with 3 CR123A's. Thank You. I attached a few pictures.

5133065235_2e74c347ae.jpg

5133666408_dc43110a0e.jpg

shortstack

Enlightened
The emitter is a xr-e q4 you could upgrade to a q5 or R2, not too sure how many lumesn you will gain... 20lumens? you could switch to an xpg but might not give too good of a beam with the reflector.

Hill

Enlightened
I swapped for a P7. Mod is here.

I beefed up the heatsinking and removed the stock pill, which to my surprise, only housed a resistor to limit current to the cree emitter. I did direct drive with either one 18650 or the stock battery stick.

You could use an XPG as a quick swap, but the reflector may not be the optimal height for perfect focus. You would also need to check the voltage since XPG have Vf=3.2 and Cree P4 or Q5 have Vf=3.5.