Lets play a game. match a light to this need.

hnoppenberger

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so heres what we are going to do. I need a new light for hunting.

heres what I would need:

-LED, c123 or anything that can have a car charger.

-under 12volt operation (legally)

-weather resistant

-tight thrower, over 300 yard range with some spill to help pick up eyes.

-capable of taking a red filter.

-needs a dim low setting to not scare game, once in close enough go to very bright, to get the shot off. (and ID animal)

-full beam pattern, no dark spots!

-no size restriction

basically, what you do with night time predator hunting is

your scanning a horizon (low setting on light) for eye balls (reflecting back at you) as the spotter, then the shooter lines up the target as you draw the animal in closer with the call. Once the animal gets close enough withen 300 yards or clear, you hit the light to high power to get good definition of what it is and where to aim.

currently using a 120l e2d but it is not bright enough for the red filter on it (totally kills the output) and a stream light led, but that has alot of dark spots in its beam pattern, making the eyes dissapear and reapear in the reticle. just picked up a h3 bulb spotlight with red filter, and that does good, could be a little longer range but that thing chews through battery time. need to able to make 20 minute stands every 20 min with just topping up the batterys between that. the spotlight cant do it

I know alot may be against hunting, but i had to post what the light is used for to get an idea for advice.