Pelican M6 question

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened
How good is it right out of the box? I see many have made mods ect but am wondering how good of a product it is when new.

Thanks in advance.

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
The mods I know of are the clickie conversion, the glass lens, and of course a total LS conversion. The glass doesn't make much of a difference, the clickie is the clickie, and the LS just turns it into a different light. Bottom line, a PM6 is a PM6...all the praise you've heard for it here (the beam, the brightness, etc..) isn't changed by adding a clickie or a different lens...

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened
Sounds good. I am kind of needing two lower end if you will lights. One for my 8 yr old son and another for the glove box. I want lithium powered and quite bright. He has several low end led's for the majority of play but wants a higher power for those times he thinks he "needs" it. Looks like I may be trading for a G2 so maybe the other should be this. He will probably get the G2 since it's probably more durable but I don't know. I've became quite the SF nut. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif If it weren't for having a charger already mounted in my Jeep I would give him the Stinger. I think the Stinger HP is also traded away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The only thing I changed on my M6 is to cut about 2/3 of the spring on the lamp assembly off. It made the light about 1/4" shorter.

I don't feel the need to change anything else about it. It is BRIGHT. It focuses pretty tight with a nice amount of spill. It feels like it was carved out of solid steel! I don't think tough begins to describe it!

A G2 is a nice light. I gave mine a clickie. It feels very nice and is light.

But if you want to throw light pretty far, you GOTTA get an M6!!!!

<edited>

If you want one light to do both for your son, give the Streamlight Twin Task 2L a look. About as bright, maybe a touch more than an Attitude in LED mode. Almost as bright as my G2/P60 at 20 odd feet in Xenon mode. Won't focus ultra tight but does toss a fair amount of light a fair distance. Don't cost a whole lot either!

<edit ended>

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
A nice cute light would be a SL TT 1L, then again, if the 2L is all what its cracked up to be (haven't tried it) it might be a good option.

I have my PM6 and love it. It is all stock (light, holster, and batteries.)

I was walking around campus a few nights ago and gosh the PM6 can throw. I lite up a good 10X10 foot section of a wall at 4 stories high and 150 feet away. Walking past the engineering mile as I call it (has like 5 different buildings with a main road down the middle, looks kinda like a night time raid exercise in a urban setting.)

But what a SF M6 would have done.

The PM6 is built like a tank, so are the SL TT 1L and #C's I have handled. If you're son has a LED light, I would not hesistate to rec. the PM6. I love mine.

The Scorpion is in my BOB (county comm's) with 6 spare CR123's along with a SL TT 1L. The PM6 goes with me when I am out though without my BOB (arc aaa is always with me just in case.)

Jason

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've recently bought both the Pelican and the Surefire and like the PM6 quite a bit more than the G2. It's significantly brighter and from the runtime plot I've seen, gets better mileage out of two 3 volt lithiums. It feels better to my hand than the SF G2's plastic body. I think in the silver finish it's an eyepopper.

A major point in the PM6's favor is that the Xenon lamps will be quite a bit cheaper than the Surefire P60 and P61. Perhaps as little as $6.00 compared to up to $25.00.

My SL TT 2L is a great multi-use flashlight and is in my glovebox. I ordered another to put in my wife's glovebox.

BC

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all. If the PM6 is built that good I may have to, need to, want to, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif keep it for myself and let my son have the G2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't think I'll add a clickie to the G2. Probably just let him carry it as is. Besides if it had a clickie it would be on more which means it will cost Dad more in batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have no idea how cutting off part of the spring would make the light shorter but I have never seen one in person so I'll have to check that out.

Looks like the best place to get one might be battery station. I know Botach had them and will price match but I would rather give my business to the smaller guy (and sponser) when possible plus there's a better chance he'll get the order right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You all know what I'm talking about.

I'll let you know what I think when it comes.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey PlayboyJoeShmoe, does snipping down the lamp assembly spring make it so you don't have to unscrew the tailcap as much to "lockout" the pushbutton?

RazorMaxx, I have been very impressed with The Battery Station and have made three purchases from them. The shipping is lightning fast and the communications are superb. Purchase from them with confidence.

Have you checked out some of the mods being made for the PM6 on the Homemade and Modifications forum here? Check out McGizmo's PM6 "kit" in a Pelican box and his fascinating conversion to run off your vehicle's cigarette lighter socket, I've always been goofy for toggle switches, ever since Goldfinger came out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

BC

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Definitely go with BatteryStation--Kevin's service is top shelf.

I like both the PM6 and G2, but I really like the throw of the PM6. I think it's got better throw than pretty much all of the other similar lights out there. I added the clickie (after many hours of work) and the other thing I added was the B270 lens with LDF (Light Diffusing Film) from FlashlightLens.com. This really smooths out the beam although you do lose a little in throw.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
BC0311,

Yes it has that effect as well. NOTE! I cut too much off initially. All I had then was momentary, couldn't do constant on. I tweaked what was left of the spring enough to get back that function.

My light is some 1/4" to 3/8" shorter than it was. I don't carry the M6 as EDC so I don't worry too much about locking it out. Besides, the Kroll clickie on my G2 is just about breath on it touchy, while the M6 takes a firm push.

Between G2, LX, and PM6 in MY tests, the M6 throws a brighter light farther. And looks GOOD doing it!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
RazorMaxx said:
How good is it right out of the box? I see many have made mods ect but am wondering how good of a product it is when new.

Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

RM,

In my original review I found that even though the PM6 was beginning to be thought of as a good light, it was even better than people realized, to the point of being quite special.

Brightnorm

PM6 TAKES ITS PLACE WITH THE BEST AND BRIGHTEST

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
BC0311 said:
Hey PlayboyJoeShmoe, does snipping down the lamp assembly spring make it so you don't have to unscrew the tailcap as much to "lockout" the pushbutton?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, that's the primary purpose of cutting the spring, and the shortening is coincidental . I recall someone mentioning that Pelican had addressed this problem in later versions but I can't vouch for that. Be aware that as you shorten the spring it will require a somewhat harder push to make it work, though this shouldn't be a problem for most people.

Brightnorm

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Playboy Joe and Brightnorm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

If I work up the nerve I'll be conservative and snip a little and check it out, work my way up.

BC