I'll be measuring an US next week!

rlhess

Enlightened
I\'ll be measuring an US next week!

I would really like someone with a Meterman LM631 or similar illuminance meter to measure an Ultra Stinger.

The metering procedure is simple. Find the brightest at hotspot at ten feet with the meter. Set the meter on FOOTCANDLES. Multiply that reading by 100 and report CANDELA.

You may also do this measurement at 3 meters and multiply the measurement in LUX by 9 and report CANDELA.

Please test it at narrow focus. Please find the brightest hot spot.

Please do not read a spec sheet and republish that number.

I will post this on my Web page with a credit for the person doing the measurement.

Hint as to why I'd like someone to do this. Look on my Web page for the measurement of the 2.5 inch 9V SF N2 SRTH. Then look at SL's published spec and then look at BrightNorm's informal comparison between the two...right...now you understand.

Thanks!

Richard

SuRgE

Enlightened
Re: I\'ll be measuring an US next week!

I like your site Richard. You have an impressive collection.

JB

Enlightened

Nice site Richard. That's a lotta lights you have.

Your figures are reported in "cd". Is this the same as "candlepower" that so many brands like to advertise?

JB

Enlightened

Edit: just read your page closer and noted that it's the same as candlepower. TQ.

rlhess

Enlightened

Hi, JB,

Yup, you found it out. I prefer to use the SI units that our own NIST (formerly NBS) wants us to use.

candela = candlepower

I learned tonight that people measure footcandles at 100 feet and multiply by 10,000 for the candlepower ratings.

I didn't find any difference measuring at 10-20-30 feet so I didn't go any farther. The 30 foot measurements tracked the 10 foot measurements.

The inverse square law is not open to too much interpretation <smile>.

Thanks for the comments, SuRgE! Yes, my wife is looking at me crosseyed which is why I won't buy an UltraStinger just to measure it.

Cheers,

Richard

rlhess

Enlightened

Although I didn't see a group of you flocking to do this, I thought I'd let you know that a LOANER US with the half-and-half reflector is on its way to me for measurements.

I can't wait to see how wonderful it really is!

Cheers,

Richard