D10 GDP emitter swap to XP-G R3 3A

Zendude

Enlightened
Hey Folks,

While trying to fix my Q MiNi AA, I got a urge to swap my violet GDP for something a little more neutral. I see wyager already did the Q5 but the GDP is a little different.

I must say, this is a clean setup!

img0130ns.jpg

I'm having a terrible time trying to get the proper color in a beam shot so this will have to do. The Quark is greener and the GDP is more violet than this pic shows.

Left:Quark AA right: D10GDP

img0119wf.jpg

Bye bye GDP!

img0135yw.jpg

I used a dremel tool to grind down the holding flanges.

img0136z.jpg

New emitter installed.

img0137uy.jpg

Now the problem here is the reflector. It screws into the head and is flat all the way across. with the new setup the leads would short across the reflector. My fix was to cut a doughnut shaped piece of electrical tape and attach to the bottom of the reflector.

img0131m.jpg

Because of the thermal paste(allowing movement) and the fixed reflector I had a tough time trying to screw the pill back in and get the LED centered. In the end I got pretty close, maybe .5mm off.

img0138wt.jpg

Now for the surprise. When it came to the golden halo around the hot spot; I always assumed it was because of the GDP emitter itself. Apparently not!

On high.

0000060w.jpg

On low.

0000061.jpg

It has to the the reflector.......I think.

FYI: The camera compensates for the change in brightness, there is a big difference. The tint isn't quite right either. It's not as cool as the pics make it look.

Thanks for looking!:wave: