Long time lurker finally registered and started to play

Z

z_got_s54?

So I've been lurking here for months after my buddy (2euro) showed off his PD30r2 about a year ago. I had 2D and 3D cell mags and mini mags for years, and after seeing what I saw, I was blown away and knew I'd never buy an incandescent FL again.

So I started reading and researching. First I wanted a compact EDC with good output, different modes and could tailstand. I searched various AA-based models and I chose the Fenix LD10r4. I received it this past Monday, stuck in a freshly charged 2650mAh NiMH I had laying around, and was totally impressed. For a FL of it's size running on a single AA, it has amazing throw and flood (compared to anything I've owned)

When deciding on the LD10r4, I knew I wanted to have a second FL - something with a higher high and possibly lower low, and one that could run on either a 17670 or 18650 - aside from CR123 primaries or RCR123's. It still needed to tailstand and be relatively small and affordable. Once again, I did a LOT of reading and research. My list was narrowed to:
  • Fenix PD30r4: initially it was top on mylist, but it can't run 18650's or 17670s.
  • Olight T20: would have been great, but it can't tailstand.
  • Novatac 120: I would have gotten the HDS 123x2 tube to run a 17670, and possibly do an XP-G emitter swap, but then price goes through the roof.
  • Nitecore D11: has too much parasitic drain, and I dont want to have to loosen the tailcap to prevent that.
  • Jetbeam Jet III: looked good, but was more than I wanted to spend considering the alternatives.
  • EagleTac P20C2: can't tail stand and won't take an 18650
  • Sunwayman M20C: I was really leaning toward this FL, but it's price was still too much IMO, compared to others in the same class.
  • Lumapower Trust 2: This came out 2nd top on my list. It had pretty much everything I was looking for, but I'm one of the few that find value in the strobe/SOS/beacon modes. Unfortunately, the Lumapower Trust 2 doesn't have any of these.
In the end, I chose the Quark 123^2 XP-G r5. I had read how well it peforms with a 17670 and how it dims instead of just blacking out when voltage drops and it goes into direct drive mode. With features like 0.2 OTF lumens in moonlight mode, a reversible clip and numerous other modes, I was sold.

I placed an order last night for 2 of them (4Sevens is fast - they've already shipped them!!!) - one for my dad as a present. He had seen my cousins Olight M20 and was amazed how bright it was. I'm sure that the Quark 123^2 will hold it's own.

Anyway, I can't wait to receive it and try it out. I may eventually get the Lumapower Trust 2 for my wife.

I've lurked around long enough and have enjoyed learning and researching. I'm finally happy I've jumped in :)