Lights OK at Wash. DC tourist spots?

kz1000s1

Enlightened
We'll be going to Washington DC soon. I was wondering if there was any problem taking lights like a Scorpion and Arc AAA into the Smithsonian, Capitol, etc.. I assume a pocket knife or multitool would not be allowed at all.

gadgetnut

Enlightened
The last time I was in D.C., I don't recall metal detectors at the Smithsonian. You should be fine there, just don't shine them at any of the exhibits! I'm almost certain you will pass through a metal detector at the capital, but that doesn't mean you can't have your flashlight. They will probably just inspect it first.

neogoon

Newly Enlightened
There were metal detectors at the Museum of Natural History the last time I passed by (July), and I think they have them at Air & Space, too. They have "express lanes" for people who don't have bags or backpacks.

The smaller museums and galleries (like the Hirschhorn) inspect bags but don't have metal detectors.

The Capitol & Washington Monument have metal detectors as well; others, like the Lincoln Memorial, don't.

You can always call ahead to ask, though I can't imagine that flashlights would be a problem, in any case.