Big Beam 287EX Vintage Brass Lantern HID Mod:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love Brass, Came cross this Vintage Brass 287Ex Big Beam on ebay that's in a pretty bad shape in terms of

peeling paint rusting components etc, however, the solid brass construction make be believe that beneath

the ugly skin, there might be a beauty inside.

The Before Photo: The Ugly Vintage duckling :eek:

img5321.jpg

I thought it might be cool to HID it? With some stock HID components laying around from my

various 75W HID upgrade mods, I decided to give the Vintage Big Beam a Modern Make-over.

With some grinding, I reduced the H3 HID's plastic stem to go inside the stock

bulb holder.

dscf8663.jpg

The stock switch was rusted out, I installed a Judico 10Amp switch in it's place,

while re-used the stock brass mounting rings. (Stock metal stem for switch mounting was bored out

mounted over the Judico switch stem after some grinding to reduce diameter).

The switch was wired to cut off power directly from battery (Not a good idea to install switch at the bulb end,

as turn on Volt is super high 20Kv). As a result, 4 wires had to go through the hole vs. originally just 2).

dscf8662a.jpg

The Ballast was mounted to the underside of battery Box cover with a recycled broken vacuum cleaner

rubber belt
, using the two factory handle mounting screws.

dscf8667.jpg

Making the battery carrier: I used two radio shack Dual C cell battery holder,

cut in half, stretched spacing to fit 26650 mounted to a piece of wooden board: Waiting for JB Weld to dry::devil:

dscf8669w.jpg

Finished battery holder hold 3x26650 IMR: 12V 4000mAH, since the 35W HID draws about 4 Amp or so,

this will last about an hour, plenty run time even for practical use. Those orange wires are resistance mod,

i.e. resistance by-pass wires. As the cheap battery holders spring has enough resistance to heat up

melt plastic if too much current were passed through. Since only 3 x4V 26650 IMR were used,

two are at underside one on top for stability.

However, the system can also be used run with 4x 26650 3V LifeP04,

(Some re-routing will be needed to use the 4th battery holder that's currently being by-passed)

img5395c.jpg

The light was wire blasted to get rig of the peeling paints to show the bare brass under, Finished, yeah!

The H3 HID was actually mounted in from the reflector side, in such way the the top edge of the

black stem is on the reflector side, this was necessary to bring the arc chamber into focus:

img5390y.jpg

Side:

img5394d.jpg

Rear:

img5396d.jpg

Let there be light :D

img5403f.jpg

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
None coments? Very nice work dude! :thumbsup:

I wonder to see some outdoor beamshots. HID does not match with a white wall! :devil:

onetrickpony

Enlightened
That is one cool looking beam, what's with the "blast" look, something to do with the shape of the reflector? In any case, it's awesome looking.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Guys, there were some follow-up comments lost due to CPF crash.

LOL, the Blast look is due to the Vintage reflector, which isn't in perfect condition,
somehow gave the blast look.

The lux came out about 90K lux, about half of the lux if a perfect reflector is used.

RacinPason

Newly Enlightened
Is there any way to see the pictures now? All I get is an ImageShack "photo unavailable."