True Grit (2010 version)

o0o

Enlightened
I saw True Grit tonight, and I have to say this was a very good remake.

Hailee Steinfeld, just 14 in real life, plays Mattie Ross (also 14 in the movie), and IMO hit a grand slam. In her first *major* film role, she nailed it. I was very impressed to see someone this young have such stage presence. I like her performance better than Kim Darby from the original 1969 movie... I like Hailee's performance MUCH BETTER in fact.

Jeff Bridges was very good in the role of Rooster Cogburn, although styistically he plays it differently than John Wayne did. I was a huge fan of the 1969 version with Wayne, but I think this remake may have actually been better.

I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, but this movie is a bit different than the 1969 version. Especially what happens towards the end. It is a darker movie, with not so happy endings for the characters, and some things left open for interpretation.

I gave the original 1969 verison 3 stars (very good). I give this version 3.5 stars (excellent).

It was not quite a classic, so I'm NOT going with a full four stars. Nonetheless, an excellent movie that I think most will enjoy. I recommend you all see it.