I have heard ENOUGH about the ARC LSH !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I broke down and ordered a HD-S from Bulldog. Can't beat the price. You guys better be telling the truth about this little light. My expectations are high. In the mail as we speak.

avusblue

Enlightened
I've been hearing everyone go "blah, blah, blah" about how good the Arc LS is for a year now. My thinking was, "well, isn't it the same output as a McLux, or BB400, or KL1? And therefore, I get along fine without one."

Well there has been lots of LS traffic in B/S/T lately and I finally bit on a great deal. (I think people are unloading in expectation of the coming LS4.) My LSH-S came a week ago and I am in love. It really is as good as they all say. I don't know how to describe it: It's overall goodness . . . the world-class craftsmanship and construction . . . the perfect size and heft in the hand . . . purposeful styling and classic design . . . and best of all, the flawless color and brightness of the beam. You'll know when you get it; it just has that "something special" which isn't easy to put into words.

Even with your high expectations, I predict you'll be kicking yourself for waiting so long to get one. I am. I already have a Premium on the way.

Enjoy,

Dave

Rex

Newly Enlightened
MSaxatilus,
You may have to tone down your expectations. Like you, I was expecting a lot when I ordered my LSH-P. But when it arrived, it was way bigger than I expected. It had lots of farkle. The beam is yellowish, not the "very white" that a lot of people describe their LSH's. It was not brighter than my KL1 by a long shot. Since I live in NZ, it's too expensive to call Arc or return it to them for replacement. I just have to live with it. Having said that, I have an LSL that is quite bright that my son uses on his scooter as headlight.
Good luck with your LS. I hope you receive a great one.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
rex said:
MSaxatilus,
You may have to tone down your expectations. Like you, I was expecting a lot when I ordered my LSH-P. But when it arrived, it was way bigger than I expected. It had lots of farkle. The beam is yellowish, not the "very white" that a lot of people describe their LSH's. It was not brighter than my KL1 by a long shot. Since I live in NZ, it's too expensive to call Arc or return it to them for replacement. I just have to live with it. Having said that, I have an LSL that is quite bright that my son uses on his scooter as headlight.
Good luck with your LS. I hope you receive a great one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to comment on some of your statements.

1. "Way bigger"... I don't understand. What size did you expect it to be? There is not smaller with that amount of light output that I'm aware of.

2. "Farkle"... Yea, that sort of pissed me off too, however it's only cosmetic and does not affect tint or output.

3. "Not very white"... It's only been recently that I've seen any other 1-watt Luxeon light that was as white or whiter than any and all of my ARC-LSHP lights.

4. "Not as bright as KL1"... If that's the case, you either got the best KL1 ever (and I mean ever) made or the worst LSHP ever made or a combination of both. I've been thru at least a dozen KL1's (not recently) and twice that many LSHP lights and never have the KL1's even come close to the LSHP.

5. "Have a bright LSL"... Glad to hear that. I don't really care for the LSL. I've never had good luck with them and prefer the LSH.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
You must've read my mind, TIN, I was thinking the same thing, I have a LSH-P that I EDC, and a E1e with KL1, while my KL1 is most definitely the whitest one I have ever encountered it's neither brighter nor whiter (still very blue) compared to my LSH-P! Not to mention the throw on the KL1 sucks! And the KL1 E1e combo is about a 1/2" to 3/4" longer than the LSH-P. As far as farkle is concerned, from what I understand, just about any Luxeon light can end up with farkle and I've seen Surefires with it too. Like you said doesn't affect the beam one bit. If you get a nice one the LSH is primo producto.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I returned one of my LSH-P's which was dimmer than several of my old LS 2nds and not very white.

My second LSH-P is the one I presently EDC. It's beautifully white and focused and gives me approx 5hrs of regulated runtime with Lithiums in the AA configuration.

Brightnorm

Rex

Newly Enlightened
this_is_nascar,
My expectation of the size of the LS was based on the Arc AAA, where the flashlight is around twice as big as the battery. The LS is more than 4 times the size of the 123 battery. I also haven't seen an Arc LS in person before I ordered mine. Is that fair enough?
To my eyes, it is definitely yellow when shone against a white wall. It is noticeably less intense than my KL1 during night hiking in rocky/rugged terrain and/or thick foliage in near-total darkness conditions.
I don't have any measuring equipment to substantiate my observations. I also don't have a lot of Luxeon flashlights to compare it to.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ran my LSH-P all night (about 8 hours) when it was in moon mode. At the start it was about 3 times the brightness of my Arc AAA, and by the end it was about 1/5 the brightness. It was still bright enough to easily navigate around my house in the dark. When it is still in sun mode, it is too bright for me around the house, but outside, it is awesome. My LSH-P is VERY white and very bright. It blows my Inretech AA on lithiums away.

Likebright

Enlightened
rex,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Sounds like you might have a dud there. My LSH is the whitest of all my 1 w LED lights and whiter than any of my 5 w except the SN-II.
It equils the throw of my LSL which is decidedly blueish.
My 2¢
Mike

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should be getting my LSH-P this week. I'll let you guys know what I think of it. I actually really do like my LSL-S that I got a while ago for an awesome trade deal. Which is why I decided to get the LSH-P. From what everyone is saying the LSH-P should blow the LSL-S away!!! And I really like the LSL-S.

If its that much brighter than a KL-1, I'll be happy.

MSax

Blikbok

Enlightened
I also jumped in on the Bulldog sale. I am now the proud owner of my first Arc LS, an LSH-S with a 2AA power pack.

I thought I'd never buy an Arc LS because they were too expensive, and I already had a KL1. The quality of the light from my LSH-S blows my KL1 away. I'm eager to see the LS4 and 5.

Then again, I thought I'd never buy an Arc AAA, and now I'm ordering my fifth through eighth. Not all for me, of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DumboRAT

Enlightened
I also jumped on the Bulldog sale, after his second price-cut. Got myself a LSH-S.

I can't believe I waited this long. I've had an ARC AAA LE for a bit now, and I've been in-love with it since a fellow CPF'er first recommended it to me.

I *_am_* kicking myself for having waited so long to get an ARC LS, but not very hard of a kick because of Bulldog's excellent deal.

Anyway, to contribute to this on-going thread.

My LSH-S does have quite a bit of farkle. Honestly, though, I could care less, as in this particular instance, I'm "function over form." =) It doesn't impact beam whatsoever, as the FAQs cited.

Color? All I have to say is that it is much whiter than my SureFire KL3 (three), which has a blue tint.

Bright? It's definitely not as bright as my KL3 with either C3 or C2 (my current setup) base, but I'd well wager that the higher output LSH-P will be a match or more, with its tested output at >22 lumens.

Quoted (independent testing, quoted by ARC) at 14-17 lumens output, I can definitely see that the LSH-S model's output should be -- and is -- less than that with my KL3 with C2 (19 lumens, factory quote). No surprises there. My current set of batteries in the KL3 is providing "moon" mode reduced ("moderate") output...and the LSH-S easily beats it out.

With the KL1s being quoted from SureFire at 16 to 17 lumens, I'd suppose that it would be a toss up as to whether or not an LSH-S would be brighter or dimmer -- what all with the variability between independent and factory testing and quotes and all.... But I'm inclined to believe the majority opinion above in that an LSH-P should easily overwhelm the KL1 paired with either a 1 or 2x CR123 combo.

Size? Ever held a KL3/C2/Z48? This ARC is diminutive by comparison. Sure, it's larger than my AAA LE, but just look at the difference in light output.....

=)

I'm a happy camper.

My KL3/C2/Z48 will remain my main general-use LED torch, but the addition of the ARC LS makes for a long overdue alternative in terms of size/storage and convenience (i.e. EDC carry).

=)

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Blikbok

Enlightened
I just recieved a twisty 123 pack and this is the first time in recent memory I am not carrying my SF E1/KL1. I like the idea of the LSH-P, but not at twice the price of the sale LSH-S. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm definately saving my pennies for the LS4-P, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.