What should I get next? (mag 4D mod)

U

user1016

Hi there guys

My long-lived Maglite 4D Led finally died. I was using it to obliterate an abnormally large huntsman spider which was proving too difficult to extricate from the house when the LED became separated from the body and is now beyond repair. :(

So I'm on the standard incandescent bulbs for now (one actually blew within minutes, not sure why). What's a good LED mod drop in for the 4D (and I know I could go to the Maglite mod thread, but I can't find it) but also, I'd like to know/get your personal opinions, what's a good MAG led drop-in mod, with good brightness but a good battery life. I have a Mag 3D w/ Seoul P7 and as magnificent as it is, the half-hour battery life on NimH's doesn't quite do it for a camping weekend. I'd like something perhaps a little brighter than the standard official MAGled drop-in but not so bright that it consumes battery life at the rate an M-60 chews bullets. I'm not sure what the standard Magled 4D puts out (about 250 lumens perhaps?) but I'd be looking for something halfway between that and the 1000 lumen P7 mod. Maybe 400-600 lumens?

What can y'all suggest? Also is it worth getting NimH rechargeable batteries for standard use, I'm guessing they last longer? (Bit of a candlepower newbie here).

Also is there anything else I can do to remove artifacts on my beam, some kind of custom reflector perhaps?

Thanks for your time! Have a great new year y'all!