Advice to revive a surefire 8AX Commander rechargable with Turbohead conversion.

Hfili

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for advice on reviving my first good duty light, a surefire 8AX with a turbohead KT5 conversion. I liked the throw of the turbohead and simple operation combined with the rechargeable battery system.

What led me to place it into retirement was finally blowing both the turbohead NT5 bulb and regular X80 bulb in the same week. I had already replaced the NT5 once before but the X80 was original. Realizing the cost of $70.00 to get this light running again :shakehead made me stop and think about a better long term solution...led.

After searching and searching, I have not found a way to convert the 8AX to led without resorting to modifications that I am unable to do. I gave up looking back then and decided to get a fenix TK30:thumbsup:. I do not regret that decision one bit as the fenix outperforms the old 8AX on every level (except for the warm incan tint) and I power it mostly on 18650 rechargeables (way better than B90 sticks).

A check of the surefire site shows the X80 lamp, 8AX and 8NX to be discontinued so I think there will be more people like me in the near future looking for ways to rebuild or re-purpose these old tech lights.

Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase the needed parts that would drop in or fit without modification to achieve this goal? I would like to get the 8AX up and running again if possible. Is it worth digging the old girl out of storage?

I would be happy with converting/adapting either the regular head or turbohead to led but both would be fantastic! I hope this is in the right section as I don't want to get into a full on mod yet and I am changing the light from incan.

Thanks!lovecpf This place really is murder on a wallet!