Twin Task 3C & 2L...better bulbs?

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Twin Task 2L to go along with my Twin Task 3C. I love both these lights, the 3C for the incredibly long battery life and tight beam and the size/performance of the 2L on both battery life and brightness on the incandescent bulbs! woo hoo!!

But, as I've been taught on here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I was wondering if these bulbs are moddable with another, brighter, tighter focus bulb? If so, which ones?

What about putting the bulb from the 3C into the 2L or would that make it go POP since the bulb from the 3C is (I'm guessing) for 4.5v and the bulb for the 2L is (again, guessing) for 6v....would that make it brighter or am I going about my thinking wrong?

Anyway, bulb modification suggestions appreciated.
Also, anyone try replacing the LED's with other colors?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't think you will get brighter that way. Backwards.

I tried switching the bulb from my SL Scorpion the to 2L SL TT. Wrong diameter of the leads. Wouldn't fit.

I don't know if the plastic reflector of the 2L TT would take the heat anyway.

After a LOT of use of the 2L TT, I have decided I am completely satisfied with its output. The slightly lower wattage gives at least another hour of run time, and I would rather have that than marginally brightening the thing.

The Twin Tasks (I include the SF A2 in this) are to me, the biggest advance in flashlights since the intro of LEDs themselves. Whatever Twin Task you have, most (all ?) of us use the LEDs most of the time, and this gives the things extraordinary run time, and remarkable versatility.

I have ALWAYS hated the brief 50 minute or so run time of my Scorps, 6P, etc. Then you are without light.

EDIT: Chris, you were right and I was wrong; the 4.5 volt bulb might be brighter if it didn't pop. I've had my head up my a** lately, and read it wrong.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If ONLY the 3C could be modded with a 1W LS, like an Everled with regulation. You'd have a very bright light for throw, tons of runtime, and the other led's to boot. I mention this anytime the 3C comes up because it's a mod I'd like to see/own.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaserburn-You'd have to use somethins other than a one watt to out throw that 3C Xenon; it's bright !!

With 3C's it's a nice combination, long running even with the Xenon.

I don't "carry" mine that much due to its size, but it is always here when the SHTF.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
JohnK -
Thanks for that tip. I had also thought about the Scorpion bulb.

While I would like a LS mod as well, I like having the extra punch of the incandescent when I need/want it. I agree that it would take probably a 5W to outdo the stock bulb for throw and that would also probably quadruple the price. I love these lights for their overall function/appearance and cost.

Still, a brighter bulb would be a nice option. What about any Carley lamps?

wwglen

Enlightened
When it first came out I read that the Ledgen LX bulb would fit. I haven't tried mine. I really like the longer run time.

wwglen

unclearty

Enlightened
Hmmmm. I have a 1L at home...single 3 volt 123 battery...I could remove the incandesent bi pin bulb and replace it with a single white or blue LED...hmmmm