kl3 mod to 5w

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless I'm mistaken, the stock optic on the KL3 is the NX05. Using this optic with a 5W LED will result in a doughnut hole in the middle of your beam. If you're going to do this mod, you might want to try fitting a low profile Fraen (they're about the same size as an NX05), a 30mm optic (lots of fitting), or one of the cut down PM6 reflectors (not sure how much fitting).

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Yes, the cut-down PM6 reflector (available at the Sandwich Shoppe) will fit into the KL3 with just a bit of fitting (or so I've read). I am really thinking about doing this mod myself.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDmodMan,

I fit the PM6 reflector into the KL3 head with lots of cutting into the KL3 AND the reflector. The stock pyrex is too thick, however, to fit. I have some lens coming in from Flashlightlens soon, and I'll post some shots later. I'm not sure I like the results as much as the 30mm optic or the Fraen "05"'s though. The beam is pencil thin, I may have to play around with placement. Oh, forgot, I'm using a 1W high dome. The throw is very good. Next thing I'm gonna try is a 5W.

CM

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just sold a great 5W KL3 mod CM did for me. The KL3 is really wonderful for this mod because of all it's finning and is certainly overkill with the stock 1W. The stock KL3 is also a waste producing a fairly weak, purplish beam.

CM's mod produced a great blast of white with so much sidespill, it was incredible! However, it did have the "donut hole" in the beam center. It wasn't that bad but I did notice the "donut hole" every time I used it. The great sidespill though would almost light up a whole room!

I sold it because I originally had it modded for my DSpeck UBH II. I liked UBH with the 5W KL3 but I tried a KT2 turbo head on the UBH and was sold! I also had just received a L4 and liked the solid, round beam of the L4 much better.

The 5W KL3's "donut hole" can be disconcerting at times but it sure produces some sidespill!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene,
I would imagine that you had the NX05 optic in there, eh? I'm waiting to see what CM comes up with for his personal KL3. Then I'll send him one of mine (Geez, I guess I have to get one now) to do a "Ditto," 'cause I'm sure that whatever he comes up with is gonna be cool.