Questions about my JETBeam RRT-3

Sopchoppy

Newly Enlightened
Just had to have the RRT-3!!! Looks awesome, 1200 lumens sounded like the perfect thrower, etc. Got it from Going Gear, who has SUPER fast shipping. It came with a Trustfire charger and 3 Trustfire 18650 2500Amh. Took about 6 hours to charge. Loaded up and went out in the night to see this thing in action. Was not impressed with the throw as it didn't seem to be any better than my Fenix TK35. When comparing the 2 lights, the TK35 was noticeably better. The TK35 has AW 18650 2600Amh. The RRT-3 has an OP reflector, the TK35 has a smooth reflector. Shouldn't the RRT-3 out throw the TK35 by a bunch? Comments and suggestions please!!!

JeffN

Enlightened
Are you sure your RRT-3 has an OP reflector? My RRT-3 has a smooth reflector and I've not seen the option for an OP reflector in any of the reviews I've read. You know 1,200 lumens is the emitter rating, right? OTF is more like 800-850.

There's a fine review of the RRT-3 on CPF by HKJ -- have you checked it out?

Sopchoppy

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it's an OP reflector. There is a review on youtube that show the OP reflector. The smooth was on the first ones most of which were the grey color. One of the reviews on the later version black body has the op reflector. I ASSUMED the grey body I ordered would have the smooth reflector, wrong!!

archimedes

Flashaholic
The orange peel reflector will have a more even beam (and flood), while the smooth reflector will have more throw (and hotspot).

fl0t

Enlightened
I have doubts regarding the throw on this light as well. I bought mine on February and have been able to take it outside only once.

I got the SMO reflector version from Light Junction and I feel it should throw a little longer.
Some reviews state that the OP reflector has better throw, while other places say that the SMO reflector throws farther.

I understand that the dimensions of the reflector PLUS the position of the emitter have everything to do with throw. That is why the difference between OP or SMO cannot be used to judge a light as a thrower.

Has anybody been able to test a SMO against a OP on this particular model? Please show us your findings.

JeffN

Enlightened
Yes, it's an OP reflector. There is a review on youtube that show the OP reflector. The smooth was on the first ones most of which were the grey color. One of the reviews on the later version black body has the op reflector. I ASSUMED the grey body I ordered would have the smooth reflector, wrong!!

Well, I stand corrected -- thanks for the information. Learn something new every day. I would not have purchased this light with an OP reflector, either, unless the OP positions the emitter deeper. Is the reflector all OP, or a "hybrid" part SMO/part OP like Jetbeam has tried before?

Sopchoppy

Newly Enlightened
Well, I stand corrected -- thanks for the information. Learn something new every day. I would not have purchased this light with an OP reflector, either, unless the OP positions the emitter deeper. Is the reflector all OP, or a "hybrid" part SMO/part OP like Jetbeam has tried before?

It's all OP.

Brokerdan

Newly Enlightened
At it's highest setting my RRT-3 (1200 Lumen) smooth reflector, is just a little dimmer than my JetBeam M1XM (750Lumen) light, either close up or at a distance. I have not been impressed with it's brightness (1200 Lumens from a SST-50 is a bit of a stretch anyway) but a ~800 lumens it should still be equal or brighter than my M1XM XM-L Led. I have not been impressed with its throw either, its almost as bright at about 20 ft but after that it just seems to dissipate over greater distances. I do however love it's functions, especially the low/"moon" mode it's very unique to have such a dim light throw so far, I have never seen a light with a similar setting and throw.