Second purchase (1xAA Light)

Dry-cell

Enlightened
I've been looking pretty hard for my second flashlight (I haven't even gotten my first one yet). I want one that uses a 1xAA NiMH battery that I can use my Eneloops in. The T15-T R5 would complement my Olight T25-T R5 well (at least I think so). I'll need to wait before I can really make a decision, I'll have to test out the T25-T R5 first and see if I like it.

http://www.olightworld.com/product_show.asp?id=158

The specs say a max output of 115l but below that under "Fuctions", it says "Three brightness 130lm(40minutes)-100lm(45minutes)-3.5lm(72hrs) plus strobe". That's gotta be a typo right!?.

Will the light output taper off with a NiMH battery since the light can also use a Li-ion 3.7v 14500?.

The battery life is a little dissapointing.

Would I be better off with the Fenix LD10 (100l max) with the XP-G R5 LED?. Regarding it's specs., it doesn't say that it uses a non scatch lens, will that be a problem?. It doesn't say that it remembers the last brightness level used either (I like that feature). It says it can run at 100l (Turbo) for an 1h 48min, is this true?. Or, will I need to turn it off every so many mins for it to cool off?.

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=117

I've looked at a bunch of other's and I like these two. I don't want a bunch of hidden modes that I'll never use, but I'm up for suggestions.

damn_hammer

Enlightened
Have you checked out the Zebra Light SC51, and SC51w? Both lights are very bright on 1xAA NiMH. The high level is rated by ZL as 200 lumen for the cool white, and 172 lumen neutral. I have the headlamp version (H51w), and like it. I'm not familiar with the lights you noted, so can't comment there.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you checked out the Zebra Light SC51, and SC51w? Both lights are very bright on 1xAA NiMH. The high level is rated by ZL as 200 lumen for the cool white, and 172 lumen neutral. I have the headlamp version (H51w), and like it. I'm not familiar with the lights you noted, so can't comment there.

+1

Zebralight SC51 should be at the top of your list.

Imon

Enlightened
Be wary of the side-clicky button on the Zebralight SC flashlights.

I have a SC50+ and it'll occasionally turn itself on in my pocket! I use a 14500 in it too so it heats up fast. I know some people will say it has never happen to them but I carry more than just a flashlight in my pocket and things are bound to bounce around. On the other hand, the pocket clip is nice and the light carries deep.

I just make it a habit to partially unscrew the tailcap whenever I carry my SC50+ around anymore.

Dry-cell

Enlightened
The Zebralight SC51 is impressive, but complicated. Having one switch control all brightness levels and two sub-levels is a turn off for me. Also, I can buy a really good 2xAA light for the same price.

I took a look at the Lumapower Trust 1 and it looks like a contender.

Am I the only one who likes Olight around here?.

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep 'em coming!. :)

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZebraLight is a lot easier to use in person. Just hold the button down for it to ramp up to the brightness you want or click quick to get max every time. The sub levels are just a bonus you can ignore them if you want. You won't end up in strobe by mistake like many lights.

You want something simple yet full featured then I recommend the 4sevens Quark 1AA Tactical.

I've gone cheaper before but always end up wishing I ponied up the extra money for something better. For instance that Olight in the 1st post has two levels that are near identical with a short runtime then a fairly low 3.5lm level that won't be bright enough for general purpose use and yet too bright for middle of the night use. The UI is a bit unclear but I bet you will have to scroll through the strobe to go from max to min. I generally don't like memory as the light is unpredictable when you turn it on unless you remember the last mode you left it on from days ago.

srfreddy

Enlightened
BTW, the SC51 has a stiffer switch than the SC50+, so it'll be a bit harder to accidentally turn on.

Dry-cell

Enlightened
Question regarding the Zebralight SC51...

1) How are the threads holding up on it, are they showing wear?.

2) Is the lens prone to scratches?.

3) What does the silicone holder (sheath) look like, is it any good?.

4) If I do decide to purchase it, which version should I get?, Cool White (color temperature 6100-6500 K)?.

Dry-cell

Enlightened
There's an updated version of the Fenix LD10 which outputs 132l for 1.5h (Turbo). It uses the Cree XP-G R5 LED.

# Two modes (6 types) of output, generation/turbo selected by turning the bezel (patented)

* General Mode: 9 lumens (34hrs) - >50 lumens (6hrs) -> 105 lumens (2.2hrs) - > SOS
* Turbo Mode: 132 lumens (1.5hrs) ->Strobe

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight SC51. I have carried mine since I got it. A flawless creamy white beam at an outstanding 200 lumens out the front with an AA. The UI is as easy as it gets, it's built like a tank, and is as short or shorter than any AA light out there. It has a hardened glass lens which is very scratch resistant. I love this light and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a really nice reasonably priced AA light.

BTW....The switch placement is just as natural as it gets. No quazi tacticool light here.

Last edited:

Dry-cell

Enlightened
Well the Klarus ST10 has the best of both world's regarding switches. I think it's much easier to use. It also has a max output of 140 lumes which is quite good.

Switch:
• Tactical tail switch for power on and off with momentary activation
• Side switch for adjusting brightness output
• Rotate the flashlight head to access hidden modes (Super Low, SOS, Beacon)
• Strobe access: Press and hold the side switch for 0.5 seconds in any mode

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, I can buy a really good 2xAA light for the same price.

I am totally willing to pay more for a really good 1xAA light than I am for a 2xAA light because I don't want to have to worry about matching cells. If the size and convenience of a 1xAA light compared to a 2xAA light doesn't matter to you, then you're almost certainly going to get better value for your money if you buy a 2xAA.

--flatline

Deal4

Enlightened
Well the Klarus ST10 has the best of both world's regarding switches
+1 for the Klarus!:thumbsup:
I have the ST20 which is the 2 AA version, and absolutely love it! I have a few AA lights and it is by far my favorite!
That being said I have just ordered the Zebralight SC51 and can't wait to get it!:naughty:
IMHO this is the nicest single AA light a person can get. You can't get a smaller AA light as bright as it is.
You can't go wrong with either the Klarus or the Zebralight!:)

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Dereelight C2H with the $6 extender. I run Eneloops and 14500s in it. When I run out of those (don't always have time to recharge them), I can just remove the extender and run 123s in it when I need to. Flexible, bright, looks great and feels great in the hand.

Flucero28

Enlightened
+1 on the Zebralight SC51. I was skeptical myself, that is until I received my SC51. I have been searching for that perfect light, and in doing so have tried many. Nitecore piston drives, the NDI, Jetbeams and so on. Some of these lights costing a pretty penny, especially the Jetbeam TC-R2. Not to say that I dont like any of my other lights, The SC51 is just the light that I will always reach for now. It is not much bigger then the AA cell it uses, which is impressive. The UI seems complicated however once you spend 5 minutes familiarizing yourself with it, it is very simple. The position of the switch offers true one handed operation, something that I cannot say is easily possible with the "smart ring" UI style lights I have. Access to any of the modes from the off position is invaluable, and the lowest output level is perfect for total darkness in which your eyes have adapted. I am blown away every time I turn on the SC51, as its output on high running on a NiMH is on par with that of other lights I have running on 4.2 volt lithiums. I have both the cool white and the neutral version. The cool white is noticeably brighter, and the neutral has an incandescent like tint to it. I prefer the cool white version myself, as I prefer the higher output. I have only had one occurrence in which the light turned itself on in my pocket, and it was because I was fumbling around in my pocket for my keys. I hope this has answered all your questions, give the ZL SC51 a shot, I dont think you will be disappointed. If you end up not liking it, I can guarantee someone in the marketplace will take it off your hands.

Last edited:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Olights. I had a T10 and a T20T with the two-surface reflector and XR-E emitters. Nice lights. I haven't tried one of the new XP-G models. If they ever plunk a neutral tint emitter in the T20, I'm sure I will have to give it a try. If you like your T20, then I'd say, get the T15.

My favorite AA is the NiteCore NDI, which seems to have fallen out of favor a bit of late. Either that, or everyone has got one and we've all just run out of good things to say about them. Some of the earliest switches were glitchy, or so I've read, and it doesn't have the most advanced user interface. But it gives you two levels, a default max with the head tightened, and a user selectable level with the head loosened. And there's strobe, if you ever need it.

My second favorite would be the JetBean Jet 1 Pro v3. Get the OP relfector. Even without the smooth reflector, this little ligh really throws, and the beam is almost ring-free. Screaming bright for an AA on a 14500. No slouch on an Eneloop, either. A little larger than other 1 x AA lgiths, but rugged, and if you have large hands, you might find it more comfortable. I've found it much easier to use in the winter with gloves than some smaller AA lights, including the NDI.