Rifle mounted torch for a .223, shooting foxes at night for stock protection

JohnGalway

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

I've got a Remington .223 which has a Nightforce scope on top. I currently use a Lightforce 170 Striker mounted to the scope. I would usually take shots out to 300 yards.

What I would need from a scope mounted torch would be the ability to see enough detail of a fox at 250 yards not only to identify the animal is a fox but also to accurately place a shot. I would need the torch to be able to use rechargeable batteries.

All other conditions are secondary once the above criteria can be met.

What's currently on the market that would fulfill my objectives?

On another forum I saw mention of a Tiablo A10G I think it was? I am unfamiliar with most torches, I do have one torch myself but it's only suitable for rimfire or shotgun use.

All good advice appreciated :)

ATB,

John

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
here you go I been using this Light the XLR250 for about 6 months now has not let me down good to 250 yards throws a nice spot of light on the target. I have these mounted to my shotgun, 270 and 17 HMR ATM, but I have also used then on my Ar15, 243 and 204 ruger. I use the white light led mostly but have the green and red also you can buy the delux package that has all 3 colors 3 different mounts and 2 different pressure switches also includes 2 batteries and charger. the light uses 1 18650 battery. Was out this morning at my property lighting deer up at 300 yards with the white Led so it will throw light that far. These afe my favorite Throw lights I dont own the A10 but this light will out throw the A9 aspheric as well as many other well known throwers I own. http://www.elusivewildlife.com/products.htm?section=22&p=productsList&iCategory=6

Joe

00Moonshine

Newly Enlightened
I've tried numerous lights for the same general mission (night hunting of coyotes/bobcats/wild pigs) and so far I have not found a weapon mounted light that really reaches that far. I'm waiting on Malkoff to get more Hound Dog XM-L's in stock, as I'm hopeful that light will do the trick.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
Moonshine have you tried the XLR250 at the link I posted I can tell you for sure the 3 I have will light up stuff at 250 yards at 300 and 400 light on looking through my scope I can tell Buck from doe easily My Property is fairly dark allmost no light from other farms I see and shoot foxes and coyote with this light on my firearm have even shot a racoon at 425 yards with this light and 6X24 power Bushnell elite scope on my 243 if it doesnt work out for you you can send it back for full refund so you have nothing to loose. the Idea is not only to light up the object your shooting but to also let that light into your scope so you can see through it. just the light it's self and the naked eye no you wont be able to make out clearly any animal past 250-300 yards with this light but with your scope you will.
I think just like me in the begining most folks are looking for a light powerfull enough to light up an object at distance with enough light to set it on fire. That just isn't gonna happen with any light you can mount to a firearm by normal means. I could easily duct tape my 3MCP spotlight to my riffle that will light up my whole field like its daylight but it's huge and impractical. I do wish the Green Led Pill for this light could throw as far as the white one but thats just not gonna happen but at 150 -200 it does work well.

Joe

Last edited:

00Moonshine

Newly Enlightened
Joe,

I talked to Chad at EWT about one of their hog feeder lights, but I didn't seriously consider their rifle mounted light. Based on your recommendation I'll give them another look.

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
Hi John,

I think you'd be wasting your money !

No LED on the market will come close to your 170 Striker, not a chance.

I have a Olight SR90, and 250 yards would be stretching it for that light for even seeing a fox against some backgrounds.

With LED, the fox will look very washed out in to the background colours a lot of the time. Of course you will see a pair of very bright eyes but we all know that is not enough.

Keep to your incandescent Striker for those distances.

Roger999

Enlightened
The furthest throwing led would probably an R2 and it has a max throw of around 120m.

You could try mount a surefire Hellfighter on it :devil:......might be a bit heavy :huh:.......and expensive...

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
Erm... 120m ? :thinking: Some will go much further than 120 metre, but it all depends on WHAT you are looking at.
As you know, size, color, shape, angle, texture, porosity, reflectivity of an object can make a big difference.

Some on this forum are experts on the subject... but I am not one of them.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
I see things perfectly fine at 200-250 yards with my light. I can for sure tell antlered Bucks from Does. Again if your looking for enough light on the object to set it on fire its however not going to do that. The whole thing with Gun mounted lights is you need to be looking throught the scope and ready to fire when you switch the light on, unless its blindingly bright enought to freeze the animal in its tracks at the distance your shooting. No self respecting animal will let you shine light on it long enought to count how many grey hairs it has around it's ear area it will be gone faster then you can switch the light on and off. With that said if your looking through the scope and turn the light on the scope will use the light, gather it and you will infact be able to see clearly what your shooting at. I do it all the time shooting racoons, Fox, coyotte. allmost all in the 200+ yard range.
I have varmint hunted most of my 45 years on this earth and I have no problem seeing and making out detail on animals at long range using a scope and light combo
Steve'O your SR90 will only barely light stuff up at 250 Yards?? I am asking because my friends does much better then that, he was lighting up rabbits a few weeks ago on my property close to 350 yards with it. I want to get one but now I'm wondering if some are more powerfull then others maybe bin differences??

Joe

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
I didn't see that you set a price limit... the only torch I own that would do what you want is the Surefire M3LT Combatlight in 400 lumen output mode. It's bound to be wildly expensive in Eire, if of course it's available at all, Surefire being a bit peculiar that way. {My excuse was a combination of a sale price plus temporary insanity.}

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
Steve'O your SR90 will only barely light stuff up at 250 Yards?? I am asking because my friends does much better then that, he was lighting up rabbits a few weeks ago on my property close to 350 yards with it. I want to get one but now I'm wondering if some are more powerfull then others maybe bin differences??

Joe

Joe, it's not that it can't light stuff up at 250y or even more, it's just that Mr Fox and Mr Rabbit can blend in very well with their surroundings sometimes, even so with a powerfull incandesant spotlight, and even more so with LED lighting.

Cheers.

bstrickler

Enlightened
One thing you didn't mention was the size of the objective lens on your scope. That can make a HUGE difference in whether or not you can distinguish the target easily or not.

Here's an example of the difference I'm talking about:
http://www.rifle-scope-guide.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/objective-lens-light.jpg

I myself have found cool white LED's to be better for "destroying" the natural camouflage of animals, because they lack the reds and browns. Then again, this is due to the fact I am color deficient, and its the reds I have issues seeing.

When taking my dogs for walks at night, I used to play around with a neutral and cool white LED, to see which worked better for me, to see the coyotes. With the neutral, all I caught immediately was the reflection from the eyes. If I used the cool white, their body stood out MUCH better, because it washed out (eliminated) the reds and browns, which is why I only use cool white for walking my dogs anymore (neutral white for everything else that doesn't require me to look for potential dangers).

~Brian

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
No self respecting animal will let you shine light on it long enought to count how many grey hairs it has around it's ear area it will be gone faster then you can switch the light on and off.

some rabbits will, that how i hunted them, they start jumping for few sec, after light shines on them (p7 mag, not even mounted on the rifle, hand held) than freeze for 5 or so, enough to aim and fire, .17 air rifle, form 30-40 yards.
thou rabbits might not fall into self respecting animal category, i'm not expert, so i wont argue.

Blitzwing

Enlightened
I've shot plenty of foxes with my .17HMR, out to about 180m, using the Ultrafire WF-008 recoil thrower. 100m is a no-brainer.

The Solarforce Pro-1 running 2x18650's and a smooth reflector should get you 250 yards. I have played with one before, and it out throws my WF-008 by about 1/3. I've got one coming in the mail. :)