How soon before Led Lenser comes to their senses, and utilizes the Cree XM-L LED?

utlgoa

Enlightened
Could you imagine a 450 Lumen Led Lenser M7R?

A 700 Lumen M14R powered by two 18650 Lithium-Ion Batteries?

A 1500 Lumen Triple Cree XM-L M17R?

A 4000+ Lumen X21R?

All these flashlights would utilize the Led Lenser *Patented* Flood/Throw Lense Design, and be rechargable via the companies magnetic charger.

Come on Led Lenser (Leatherman), it's time to step up to the plate, and "Hit a Home Run"

x21_strand1.jpg

Last edited:

utlgoa

Enlightened
Just recieved some Emails from Zweibruder Led Lenser, and Coast Products after inquiring about when they would start incorperating the Cree XM-L LED into their product line......

"ALL of our COAST LED Lights will be upgraded starting June 1, 2011. The light output will increase by an average of 30% with NO increase in price. Check our website on June 1 (coastportland.com) and you will start seeing the upgrades."

Considering that Led Lenser has approximately thirty-six lights, I'm guessing to justify an "average 30% increase in light output", several of those lights will be incorporating the Cree XPG, XM-L and possibly Luminus SST-50 or 90 LED's.

I may hold off on purchasing the Fenix TK70 and The EagleTac M3C4 Triple XM-L, until I see what Led Lenser has planned.....

Last edited:

utlgoa

Enlightened
Now that Coast has severed their ties to Led Lenser, it appears that they will be incorporating the Cree XM-L in their new D-Cell flashlight......The HP17. Here is some info:

With 575 lumens of focusable light the HP17 flashlight is essential for professionals and anyone who requires a lot of task lighting. Coast's Pure Beam ™ Focusing Optic System with Fingertip Speed Focus Control™ provides superior beam consistency from spot to flood, with no dark rings typically associated with focusing flashlights. And you can lock the beam focus in any position you want with our Beam Lock™ System.

Tested and rated to ANSI/FL1 standards by an independent laboratory. ANSI FL1 flashlight standards explained.

• Light output: High - 575 lumens; Low - 67 lumens
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Runtime: High - 13 hours 30 minutes; Low - 48 hours[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Beam distance: High - 242 metes; Low - 47 meters[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]3 X D batteries (included)[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Cyclone™ Heat Sink System[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Aluminum casing; Front switch[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]High, strobe, and low output modes[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Impact and water resistant[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]14.8 ounces (including batteries); 13.12 inch length[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Diameter: Body - 1.53 inches; Bezel - 2.12 inches[/SIZE][/FONT]

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images - Norm

http://www.coastportland.com/hp17-led-flashlight.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the Coast flashlights use similar optic as LED Lenser or just an aspherical lens?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHAT? 13.5 hours on high? This light can't be regulated and that 575 lumen number must be at 3 minutes and you will never get 575 lumens again. There is no way a regulated light will run for 13.5 hours at 575 lumens.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of D-cells are they talking about?
over 1.5 watts per cell on HIGH mode, not really going to work with alkalines.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well first off they need to lose the herkey jerky gimmicky focusing system, start lowering their prices to reflect the quality of product you're actually getting for the money, then they can work on using better LED's.

bighest

Newly Enlightened
Just recieved some Emails from Zweibruder Led Lenser, and Coast Products after inquiring about when they would start incorperating the Cree XM-L LED into their product line......

"ALL of our COAST LED Lights will be upgraded starting June 1, 2011. The light output will increase by an average of 30% with NO increase in price. Check our website on June 1 (coastportland.com) and you will start seeing the upgrades."

Considering that Led Lenser has approximately thirty-six lights, I'm guessing to justify an "average 30% increase in light output", several of those lights will be incorporating the Cree XPG, XM-L and possibly Luminus SST-50 or 90 LED's.

I may hold off on purchasing the Fenix TK70 and The EagleTac M3C4 Triple XM-L, until I see what Led Lenser has planned.....

There is a post with some of their new stuff coming out here.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?319473-LED-Lenser-X14-X7R-and-X21R

I would carry one still purchase the tk70 ;)

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well first off they need to lose the herkey jerky gimmicky focusing system, start lowering their prices to reflect the quality of product you're actually getting for the money, then they can work on using better LED's.
Why would they want to do that?

Scubie67

Enlightened
I have a focusing system on my old halogen test tube canister dive light that worked really well,it would go from all flood with no hot spot to a tight spot beam that had virtually no spill.Obviously I chose to center it for good balance of both flood and spot.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you imagine a 450 Lumen Led Lenser M7R?

A 700 Lumen M14R powered by two 18650 Lithium-Ion Batteries?

A 1500 Lumen Triple Cree XM-L M17R?

A 4000+ Lumen X21R?
Where can I get a Led Lenser with the R suffix? Or 18650 powered ones. (I found the M7R but it is listed as 4xAAA.)
All I can find are AAA, AA, D powered flashlights.
AAA and AA do not have the power to run an XML at full output. Which leaves the X21 with 4D.

Led Lenser caters to the masses which means common batteries. AAA, AA, C, D. Alkaline and needs to work with carbon zinc as well.

There are shipping restrictions on Li-ion batteries. The big companies avoid problems by not using them. The smaller companies (DX/ebay) cheat and list their packages as 'flashlight kit' on the customs form. If they had listed 18650 Li-ion batteries on the package it would be impounded and you would not have received it.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I personally don't agree with you here. I think the focusing system is a great idea, combining a superior even flood beam for short distance with a super throwing ability, and that with a one hand move. In my opinion LL need to get rid of the stupid alkaline-only policy and start to use regulation. Neutral or warm white options would make them even more attractive.

Regards, Patric

Zenbaas

Newly Enlightened

I for one quite like their focusing system. Allows for great flexibility IMHO. Of course I won't argue with lowering prices but I also hope they start incorporating better LED's.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Same here.

The beam pattern is a bit 'ringy' when focussed to a tight beam, but that's pretty much what you would expect from an XR-E emitter without a textured reflector - can't really blame LED Lenser for the nature of the emitter. Well..... other than to repeat that it's time they looked at other emitters, but for what they are using, some rings are only to be expected. It's not like you'll see them at a distance anyway.

If you do happen to feel the need for a light with adjustable focus, this is as good an implementation as any, and better than most. If you don't want adjustable focus, so be it, but don't de-value the light for those who do like this feature. It's all personal opinion and the users choice at the end of the day. There is no right or wrong, just what is right for the individual. Yes there are better lights out there, yes there are lights out there that are better value, but if you take the adjustable focus of the LL lights as being their defining feature, then this is one thing that they do well, with smooth flood to long throw.

LLs could easily be classed as too expensive for what they are, but then, Germany tends to be quite an expensive country.

LL have been knocked for not using re-chargeable cells, and that is now being addressed. They have also been knocked for not being regulated, and that is being addressed. I think that the modes need a rethink - things still aren't all I would like them to be - but it is a definite step forwards.

With li-ion cells now being used, and other lights rated for use with NiMH cells, a re-jig of the modes available on the regulated lights, and a newer LED with better heat sinking, I think you could actually have a very good light on your hands - if still overly expensive, and (big IF) if you were after a light with focus adjustment.

The thing that gets me is that, despite the changes that are being made to improve the LED Lenser range, people still talk about their weaknesses as if nothing has changed. I still see a lot of people criticising the aspheric lenses, despite the fact that newer LL lights haven't used those for a while. It seems that many people looked at the older designs, didn't like them, and have never bothered to look again, so aren't aware of the improvements that have been made. Oddly though, despite a lack of interest in keeping up to date with LL's developments, they seem more then willing to take the time to criticise the lights (often with out of date information) in every thread discussing LED Lenser.

So to sum up, no they aren't the best general purpose lights out there, and they are expensive, but they are now advancing, and the company do seem to be addressing the criticisms that people have made about them. A light with focus adjustment may not be to everyone's tastes, but for those who want one, LED Lenser do it well. With a bit of luck, and a couple more updates, we will hopefully have a genuinely modern focussable light. When that time comes, maybe higher volume sales will allow the prices to start coming down, and everyone can be happy.

Zenbaas

Newly Enlightened
Good post Stephen. I completely agree. For what it's worth in South Africa these lights are readily available and compared to other manufacturers (eg. Fenix and Olight etc.) much cheaper. That said most things here are very expensive but that just gives a slightly different perspective on price depending on your geographical position.