E2D vs E2DL tailcaps

curby

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks, I'm interested in getting an alternate tailcap for my E1B. I know that some people are using the E2DL's cap with the E1B, but does the incan E2D have the exact same cap? If not, what are the differences? I'm wondering if I can expand my search to E2D/E2DL caps or if only E2DLs will work on the end of an E1B. Thanks!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any cap from an "E" Model will work. Alot of people use the Z68, which comes with the black Scoutlights, has a "shroud" around the rubber boot, and allow's it to "tail-stand". Those that don't use the Z68 use the "crenullated" version, seen on the E2D/E2DL. The only big dofference is the crenullations. I prefer the regualr Z68 seen on the scoutlight, as it doesn't tear you pockets up like the sharp teeth found on the E2D/E2DL tail-cap.

Do a search for "Z68" and enjoy! Hope this helps.

curby

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I know that the Z68 is another option. I was considering an E2D* cap because the scallops would let me get to the switch more easily. I'll have to see how that balances with the extra sharp bits. =)

Thanks for he E2D/E2DL clarification!

samuraishot

Enlightened
Yeah, I know that the Z68 is another option. I was considering an E2D* cap because the scallops would let me get to the switch more easily. I'll have to see how that balances with the extra sharp bits. =)

Thanks for he E2D/E2DL clarification!

I now use an McTc Tailcap w/ a McClicky with my E1B, but I've tried the Z68, E2D tailcaps too. It's true, for me at least, that the scallops make it easier to access the switch, but since I normally hold such a small light with a cigar grip, my thumb is always pushing in anyway and the shroud from the Z68 didn't really get in the way either. Also, the scallops on the E2D tailcap I used wasn't as 'sharp' as on what are on the E2D bezel. Oh, and one more thing, the McTc tailcap, IMHO, feels much better without the knurling found on the Z68 and E2D Tailcaps. Just something to consider :)

curby

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pointer. Do you have a preferred vendor to get that tailcap from?

samuraishot

Enlightened
Thanks for the pointer. Do you have a preferred vendor to get that tailcap from?

I got mine from the Sandwich Shoppe. I think there's 2 black ones left. You'll have to add the boot option and grab a McClicky switch if you don't already have one to make it a complete tailcap. If you're in the US it'll be about forty bucks with shipping included. They took kinda long when it came to processing my order, but maybe that was just my experience. Good luck!

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my E tailcaps from LAPoliceGear... they often offer 15% discount and if you're any patient, you can save pretty good on 15% off and free shipping...

As for tailcaps, I got 600 Scoutlight from my friend as a present here where we work... So I ordered E2E incan and mounted KX2C head on it, and got a great light... I tried Scoutlight tailcap but my way of holding a light created me problems with that shroud around the boot... I can never get used to cigar grip... I thought about getting E2D scalloped tailcap on ebay, I saw one seller with decent prices for E series lights but didn't think that another $30-$40 upgrade would create my black E2E+KX2C any better...

Southpaw1969

Newly Enlightened
I have the E2D & the E2DL- tailcaps are exactly the same and are interchangeable. Also, the tailcap scallops are not sharp at all.