Lights that tighten to turn OFF

sassaquin

Enlightened
Does anyone know of any AAA or AA lights that have a UI that "tightens to turn off"?

The first one I have come across is my new TITANER (very nice by the way) that loosens to high mode and then loosen a bit more for low. This actually makes more sense to me as you never have to worry about losing the head and twisting back and forth to change modes.

I collect little lights and all of them have the standard "tighten to turn on" UI. If anyone knows of any with the reverse UI, please let me know. Thank you.:)

beerwax

Enlightened
TITANER
DQG upgrade (happening in marketplace now)
MJP extreme III. (can be either low then high or high then low)

tighten for off, best thing since sliced bread,

Last edited:

bansuri

Enlightened
The Liteflux LF2, LF3, LF5, LF2X, and ArcMania Extreme III all tighten to turn off. You might be able to pick up an MJP at LightHound. The rest might be rounded up with a WTB in the Marketplace.
I wish all twisty's were like this. I'm gonna have to look at the TITANERs now!

edit: AND the DQG upgrade..:broke:

Last edited:

sassaquin

Enlightened
Everyone - Thank you for the suggestions, I'll be sure to put them on my radar.
I've already pre-ordered the DQG upgrade, but did not know it was a "tighten off" light. Now one more reason to be excited about a very promising light.

I wonder why more manufactures don't design their lights with this premium UI? Hmmm, must come down to money, always does.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Mini Mags describe it as a feature. When you want candle mode, remove the head and set the tail into it, make it a stand.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I wonder why more manufactures don't design their lights with this premium UI? Hmmm, must come down to money, always does.

It is easier/simpler (and therefore cheaper) to make the switching mechanism the contact of the tail (or head) with the body when tightened to complete the electrical circuit for switching. It is more complex to make a separate mechanism that switches the light on when loosened (and also potentially less reliable because there are more components).

So yes, it does come down to the money (as so often in life), but I wouldn't completely discount the simpler, more reliable factors.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone ever had a problem with the head of the light falling off (like from a Fenix E01/E05, or 4sevens Revo)? There seems to be enough resistance on all my twisties that I don't worry about it.

beerwax

Enlightened
gregozedobe is correct, there can be a maintenance/reliability price. but i must note that my minimag magsolitaire and 2aaa minimaglite never gave me any switch trouble over an extended and demanding service life.

heads do go missing from such as REVO. washing machines can assist here. a tightened for off(TFO) is less likely to come apart and less likely to accidently come on.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Has anyone ever had a problem with the head of the light falling off (like from a Fenix E01/E05, or 4sevens Revo)? There seems to be enough resistance on all my twisties that I don't worry about it.

I've only ever had it happen on Stramlight Nanos, and especially the pink version. I stopped carrying mine because of that - even after I mangled (technical term) the thread to make it a bit tighter I'd still find the head (and little batteries) scattered over the driver's floor of my van or car every now and then. Probably a bit of teflon tape would have fixed it, but I swapped to fauxtons for car key EDC instead.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my favorite setup too, if these are all like the solitaire & titan.

But all of these have only a twisting interface right- no other buttons or clickies? And "tighten for off" doesn't just mean turning the head that direction right, but literally tightening it closed to the end of the threads?

I'm getting confused looking into some of these. For instance someone mentioned the arc mania extreme III, how it manages all those functions & programming modes. Can you use it as simply as- when it's tightened completely down, it's off, then you loosen it however much it comes on? i.e. without having to get into all of the following...

Main features:
Unique 2 stage output twisting mechanism which does not require the user to cycle through all modes.
Turn Off Memory - the Extreme III will turn on in the last operating mode.
Programmble output for the 2 stage output and 2 stage SOS.
Programmable output and frequency for the 2 stage Strobe.

3 positions twisting action for on/off and programming : off, P1, P2
Tighten for off. Reduce the chances of losing the complete head (bezel & LED module)
Lock out mode : loosen 2 turns

Main functions:
FOUR (4) operating modes:
1. Standard mode - 2 output level. default at 15% brightness & 50% brightness
2. User adjustable mode - default at 50%. Adjustable from 0.2% (8 seconds) to 100% (8 seconds)
3. Strobe mode - 2 strobes level. default 1 Hz at 50% brightness at 15.6 Hz at 100% brightness
4. SOS mode - 2 SOS brightness. default 6.5% & 50%. cycle repeats every 3 seconds

All of the above output and frequencies can be changed by the user via the programming function.

FIVE (5) Extra functions
1. Battery voltage indicator - works on Alkaline, NIMH & Lithium Ion battery
2. Programming function - User can define the output and frequencies of the 4 operating modes mentioned above
3. Demo function - Will display all available brightness and frequencies of the four operating modes. Demo runs for a few minutes and revert back to previous operating mode
4. Overdischarge protection for rechargeable batteries - works on NIMH & Lithium Ion battery (4.2V, 10440) - NOTE: there are spacing problems with 10440 batteries since they are different sizes, these are not guaranteed to work without a spacer
5. Factory reset - Restore EEPROM back to factory default settings for all operating modes & extra functions

:eek:

JohnF

Enlightened
I love my MJP Extreme III with a warm Rebel, the beam tint and shape is terrific. But, I still carry my old beat up LiteFlux LF2 every day, have since I bought it many years ago. The Seoul emitter with the tiny reflector gives a most useful flood beam. I did have a minor problem with it switching properly a while back, but a quick spritz with contact cleaner in the head and it has been good as new again. The switch action and UI is as good as it gets for a small light.

John F

Napalm

Enlightened
AAA twisty that turns off when head tightened?

Is there such thing? or do all of them operate the other way round (turn on when head tightened)?

Nap.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: AAA twisty that turns off when head tightened?

Is there such thing? or do all of them operate the other way round (turn on when head tightened)?

Nap.

EDIT [merged from another thread]: I think that the Titaner ET20 turns off when the head is tightened.

Last edited:

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Re: AAA twisty that turns off when head tightened?

Here is a recent thread about the same topic:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?312247-Lights-that-tighten-to-turn-OFF

There are several AAA lights that have been made with the tighten for off feature, the problem is that most of them are no longer available.

Your best bet would be tracking down either an original DQG or seeing if there are any Titaners still available. The Titaner is the nicer, and more expensive, of the two. It is also considerably larger than the DQG. The DQG was the smallest AAA light available until they outdid themselves in the tiny department with the DQG II. Unfortunately, they did not keep the tighten for off feature on the DQG II.

The MJP Extreme Micro is still available from Lighthound. Decent light, but you might want to do some research about the maker, ARCMania, before you decide to purchase.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe, but consider the low price of a Mag Solitaire.

Solitaire switch is very reliable. I have still 4 or 5 Solitaires around the house that are over 20 years old and all saw lots of use in tough conditions. Switches still work fine on all of them.

More likely because it's just easier to make them the other way and most of the competitions lights are made that way.

Why take an unnecessary risk making a better, but unorthodox design?