Solarforce L1000 died... time to have some fun with it!

kicken_bright

Newly Enlightened
My solarforce L1000 died. :( Even though it was a little outdated, it was one of my favorite lights. The beam was beautiful! So I cannot part with its body just yet... This guy has earned a second life, but now I need to decide what should be done...

Just trying to give some perception of the overall size.

Heatsink would be perfect for a 14mm board, but obviously a 10mm board would fit as well.

Heatsink is designed for a 17mm driver. But I may be able to fit a 20mm in there somehow...

This is what it would look like as a single 18650 light

I have some 1.4 amp 7153 boards on the way. Some options I am considering are...

XP-G 1.4 amp single mode
XP-E 1.4 amp single mode
XM-L 1.4 amp single mode
XM-L 2.8 amp single mode (would either need to modify the heatsink to except two boards, or purchase a single board with 8X7135)

All of these would require a single 18650 cell, so I may end up with a cool looking stuby light... :naughty:
The XP-E might make an awesome thrower. I believe they have XP-E available in at least the R3 bin.

These are just some of my ideas, I am still open at this point, if there is a good driver out there for 3X18650's please let me know! But I dont want to spend an arm and a leg. Help me brainstorm! :wave:

onetrickpony

Enlightened
Just for the record, never ever ever throw out anything flashlight related, I can't tell you how many times dead lights have resurrected others or have been brought back from the grave to become something awesome.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've modified dead L1000 to 6x Cree XP-G. Now it has around 2000 OTF lumens and 40k lux throw. You can find some pictures on our local forum here.

kicken_bright

Newly Enlightened
This is what I would do to that light.

Is there a good driver that you recommend? I have seen stuff on dealextreme and kaidomain, but I have not heard great things about their performance or reliability. Many of the higher quality drivers are too big to fit in the light. Any recommendations would be great.

And jirik cz, I would rather keep it to a single LED. I think the large reflector and heatsink are this lights best attributes, I would rather not change that.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any 17mm buck driver that pushes 3A. The closest is the 2.5A buck driver that comes with the Dereelight SST-50/XM-L pills that are sold for their DBS lights. There's a single-mode driver on DX that pushes 2.8A, is designed for 2X18650, but, it's a bit larger than 17mm, IIRC.