some advice on new multi led floodlight build with nflex v3

strideredc

Enlightened
i have a makita bml185 and i am thinking of turning it into a 4 or 5 led flood?

what i am stumped with is i have a old nflex v3 driver that can run upto 5 leds in series. i am a little out the loop with the best leds to buy? i dont want to spend loads but if i am going to the effort i want it to be decent!

any ideas and where to buy the leds? dealextream ect ect...

The_bad_Frag

Enlightened
First of all you will need a custom made heatsink. I would go for a small active cpu cooler because your lamp has a plastic case. If you don't get the heat out of there it will melt. CPU coolers normaly run on 12V so the easiest thing would be a resistor to get the voltage down.

5 XP-G @1000 mA would be good if you get the cooling right. You could buy them here -> XP-G R5 at led-tech.de if you want high quality stuff and don't want to wait until the Led's from China(DX) arrive. They have 5,90 € shipping to the UK. DX is a lot cheaper but the stuff I ordered didn't arrived yet so I can't recommend them until I checked the quality.

strideredc

Enlightened
hi bad frag, i was going to make the heat-sink out of a solid piece of 5mm thick aluminium plate cut in a circle. do i really need to have extra cooling? if i am running them at .5A or less for general use and only cranking it up for short amounts of time?

The_bad_Frag

Enlightened
I know from the last flashlight I build link that this runs hot after 3 minutes without a cooling fan. And mine only has 3 XP-G leds and 10mm thick copper with a lot of cooling fins on the back. The plastic doesn't let any heat though until it melts. I think stable use with such a small heatsink you planned in a plastic case without active cooling is only possible at 0.1-0.2A or something like that. But that is no floodlight anymore...:eek:

strideredc

Enlightened
i have got a fan with built in heatsink in the post so when all the bits arrive i will begin the build... thanks for the help