Mini AA XP-E on a 14500?

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I have a neutral white Mini AA which I have so far been using on Ni-mh cells, I measured 1.25a from a 4.2v cell, quickly dropping to around 1.2a and then leveling off at around 1.15a on a 3.9v and below cell.

This is over the recommended input current for an XP-E, and as they were originally only rated for 700mah and have very small thermal mass I thought this would be a big issue and should stop me using it in that set-up.

However, it recently occured to me that the iTP A2/A1 series use the same circuit, yet RCR123 and therefore 14500 are officially supported, even with the XP-E emitter. These should have been seeing the same drive currents, so does that mean it should be ok to use long-term as long as I manage the heat?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I have a neutral white Mini AA which I have so far been using on Ni-mh cells, I measured 1.25a from a 4.2v cell, quickly dropping to around 1.2a and then leveling off at around 1.15a on a 3.9v and below cell.

This is over the recommended input current for an XP-E, and as they were originally only rated for 700mah and have very small thermal mass I thought this would be a big issue and should stop me using it in that set-up.

However, it recently occured to me that the iTP A2/A1 series use the same circuit, yet RCR123 and therefore 14500 are officially supported, even with the XP-E emitter. These should have been seeing the same drive currents, so does that mean it should be ok to use long-term as long as I manage the heat?

YES :)

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, but I was hoping for maybe a little more substantial feedback. ;)

Has anyone run 14500 cells in an iTP A2 for extended periods, what is the current draw on high in that set-up?