To Many Choices

FishStalker

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for the best bang for the buck under $40.00 single AA light for EDC. My main criteria is to have something small that offers at least high and low modes, I think I'd like a pocket clip, and I want to be able to run on AA as I already have a large number of rechargeable nm-hi and charger at home. The more I read and research, the more confused I become. I think I've narrowed down my choices to the following, and would like to hear from real world users about their likes and dislikes. If you have something else you like that I haven't listed, please tell me about it.

My choices so far (in no order of preference) are:
Quark AA
Xeno E03
Fenix LD15
Greg McGee MTE C3-907

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AA I like alot, I also like the Thrunite 1a (it's about $60 though)

Crelant 7G1 is a great AA light, can also run 14500 in it for extra brightness
Nitecore D11.2 would be another wicked choice :thumbsup:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark's are great. Can't go wrong there.
I prefer the Nitecore Defender Infinity, but then, it depends on how you think you will use the light. They cost a bit more than $40 though.

Bozzlite

Enlightened
+1 for the Quark AA.

I think they run about $57.00 tho. Well worth it IMO.

They will also work with a 3.7 volt lithium rechargeable and give you a bit more punch in max mode.

Last edited:

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
Agree Quark should be at the top of the list but don't discount the Xeno, it's a really good light too for the money!

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are so many lights out there but for a 1st timer, Quarks are the best to get your feet wet...

...then the flashaolism sinks in... you've been warned! hehehe.... :)

coachclass

Newly Enlightened
Many people like Quarks. I'll be the devil's advocate. Not trying to bash Quark, but maybe it'll help you balance the decision making. A lot of the choices come down to interface, because the runtimes/brightness aren't too far apart. I brought a Quark tactical as my first. I liked the modes, but didn't like only having access to two modes; you have to reprogram to get to the other modes. So, then I tried the Quark standard. Easy access to all the modes...but still didn't like having to cycle through all the modes.

I ended up with a Klarus. It's very similar to the Quarks, but it requires a separate button cycle through the modes. Some people hate this. But for me, it's ok, and I really like the momentary on. It turns out that I'd much rather the ultra low mode be in a bezel group all by itself, and have the other higher constant on modes be in the other bezel group. Wish the Klarus had a <1 lumen mode instead of the lowest being 2 lumens.

Both the Quark and the Klarus are above your $40 limit though. They're both around $54 to $58.

I'm also enjoying a new Zebralight. Totally different interface...

heavyled

Newly Enlightened
I just got the Xeno E03. AFAICT, it's one of the few AA lights that has the option of a XP-G emitter with a neutral tint, which was an important factor for me. Neutral tints are available for Quarks but I have not been able to find one anywhere. The Xeno doesn't have a clip.

The regular Quark AA is well over $40, closer to $60. The Quark Mini, however, is sub-$40.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
jetbeam makes some interesting single AA lights
as well as zebralight.

think about if you want a clicky or twisty.
and definitely think about the interface of the light.
you have plenty of options for single AAs in that price range, do more research. CPF is great for that.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Grats on your new lights! Hope you like them! Everyone here has given you great suggestions and you obviously have made a good purchase decision. After the bug bites you, (it will you know, they apparently can't be erradicated like other bugs, LOL) have a look at the Fenix offerings too. I have a LD10 that I really like. 1xAA, nice and small, and great output. So many nice lights out there in 1xAA format! :welcome:

Nicrod

Flashaholic
I still think you shoulda got a quark aa reg to start! But hey I'm just
Quark nut. Then u could have got a 123 body (20$) and you woulda had
123 format and 200 lumens. Just my .02¢ though.