looking for light w/ these features: 2AA, 0.2l moonlight, beacon and strobe, etc...

coachclass

Newly Enlightened
Just sending another call out for help with finding a light with these features. I realize that it's a lot to ask, but I just don't really want to compromise.

2AA battery
up to 1.0 lumen moonlight mode, but lower would be great.
Momentary on feature, or a really quite clicky button
SOS, beacon and 2-4Hz slow strobe (I actually have use for these flashing modes, but need them out of the way).
Prefer moonlight mode to be in a different mode group as low/med/high modes.

I've tried Quark (both tactical and standard), but didn't like the tactical because you can't easily access the modes other than the two you've programmed. I didn't like standard because no momentary on, and the moonlight is in the same mode group as low/med/high. I rarely use the max mode, so that means the other bezel position rarely gets used.

Klarus has good mode group division (moonlight on one, all other levels on another), but the moonlight was way too bright, and the clicky button was really difficult to push.

Zebralight has good moonlight mode, but they have no 2AA models, and no beacon function (I use beacon for night kayaking, and it's really useful). Also, no 2AA models.

I've looked at sunway lights with the variable level feature, but they don't seem as efficient and no flashing modes are available.

Thrunite Neutrons are close, but no beacon, and the mode group has moonlight on the same group as low/med again.

Anyone know of another brand that might fit the bill?

Thanks!

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure on the beacon modes but HDS are programable, and I've heard talk of a 2aa battery tube but haven't seen any,
Novatac makes progamable lights too and I know there's a 2AA model, not sure about UI on that either though.

The moonlight mode in a separate grouping has me sort of baffled, sorry I can't be of more help.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although it's not in your scope battery wise,
The Maglite xl100 which uses 3aaa batteries has a UI that can do all sorts of things.
Beacon, adjust the strobe, adjust brightness, has a lock out feature. It's a little over 100 lumens otf but the user interface has more control options than I've ever seen. If the low mode isn't low enough pop the head off then it would be.

Otherwise what I would do is have one light with your preferred low low, and another with the beacon mode you like.
Option three that I can think of is talk to a modder and see if they can make the ui that you want?
I apologize for not being of more help

jjoustfrost

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore IFD2 uses 2AA's, supposedly goes down to 0.5 lm, and has strobe (no beacon or SOS)

poon

Newly Enlightened
quark + tactical tailcap?
at least you'll have momentary on )

mrlysle

Enlightened
You'll see that the Zebralights advertise a "strobe" mode on their lights, but IMO it's way more of a beacon type mode because it's sloooow. Not a tactical type strobe at all. On the other hand, there 1xAA. Did you want 2xAA because of runtime, or light length? If it's light length, I understand perfectly, but if it's runtime, the Zebralights do pretty good on 1xAA Eneloop. The UI on the Zebralights is hard to beat, but like I said, the strobe isn't really a high enough freq to be considered tactical. And even though the "moonlight" mode isn't in a "separate group, you don't have to work your way to it, or get it by mistake because of the genius UI on them. Just my 2 cents. Good luck in your search.

Fluffy Ops

Newly Enlightened
If you consider the Thrunite Neutrons, note that they use PWM circuitry.

If say go for the Quarks. You can fit a tactical tailcap for momentary on, if needed. It also has beacon, SOS and strobe. It can also accept all battery types.

You say you "prefer" moonlight mode in a different mode group than low/med/high. Well, it is difficult to find a light like this that also satisfies your other demands, so I say sacrifice this for an otherwise perfect light.

srfreddy

Enlightened
Their PWM (except the 2C) is undetectable. Their moonlight is lower than the quarks, they have higher output, and an ultra-floody beam.

coachclass

Newly Enlightened
Their PWM (except the 2C) is undetectable. Their moonlight is lower than the quarks, they have higher output, and an ultra-floody beam.

Yeah, I like the Thrunites, and they fit a lot of my requirements. Just wish they group the moonlight in a different group, and wish they had beacon...

I'm surprised so many lights group their moonlight in with the low/mediums. I suppose they want faster access to the max mode. But to be honest, I rarely use the max. And I don't care about tactical strobe as much...I like the .1Hz beacon even.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
im not certain, but jetbeam's jet pro EX is a 3 mode programmable. but 1 of those modes might be stuck on max.

Vesper

Enlightened
I'm surprised so many lights group their moonlight in with the low/mediums.

It's a very specific light that doesn't seem to exist. Like others have said the Quark or ultra programmable light like HDS with 2AA tube is prob as close as you'll get. Describe your ideal UI. Maybe you'll give a maker a good idea.