Lumens Factory E-head

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, IMR cells have less internal resistance so perhaps that combined w/ the driver circuit would overheat the LE on high. Which is sort of what Sarge said, so I'll agree w/ him....

BTW, the E-head must have just been released. I was on LF site a day ago and didn't see it.

Last edited:

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Apparently the head employs a buck circuit topology, so it stands to reason that if it can handle 9V (3 primary cells or 2 Li-ion cells) then it should at least be able to run from a single IMR Li-ion cell.

I would expect it to also work from 2 IMR Li-ion cells, but it is possible that the extra few tenths of a volt beyond what 3 primary or 2 standard (iron cobalt) Li-ion cells would deliver under load is enough to overwhelm the driver.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just noticed that FiveMega is selling new E-bodies for 16mm to 18 mm cells, perfect match for the new LF E-head.

Also noticed that LF hasn't posted a price for their new E-head. The single 18650 E combo would make a perfect pocket light [for me anyway].

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
That must be a really marginal driver, and if it can't handle 2xIMR123, I'd fear running it on 3x123 even though it says it's good up to 9v.

If it says up to 9v, why does a 7.4v battery stack risk damaging it? Are they just afraid of reverse-charging an unprotected cell due to aggressive regulation?

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
If it says up to 9v, why does a 7.4v battery stack risk damaging it? Are they just afraid of reverse-charging an unprotected cell due to aggressive regulation?
That makes more sense. Protected Li-ion would shut off when depleted, but with series IMR cells there is a greater risk of over discharging or even reverse charging. They really should have specified the use of protected cells though. Unprotected Li-ion cells would be worse than IMR cells any day.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that's the case, they might assume that nobody buys unprotected lithium-cobalt cells any more, but that's not true.

Having said that, I'd like them to be a little more specific. A Fivemega 18650 E-body would be pretty fantastic for this sort of thing... but not as awesome looking as an old E2E with four flats, a witness mark, and a wide enough body for 17670.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the look of this head. It's reminiscent of the old Surefire teardrop e-series head. I can't wait for their SRTH head.