Pick my new torch (for rifle)

jim.obrien.qld

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I have attempted to look through this forum for this information however to be honest I am out of my league in knowledge and lost in acronyms and information at the moment. As a result I though I would get some guidance from the pro's.

Needed - A torch to attach to my rifle that is going to have long throw. I am interested in knowing distance that it will get out to, size of torch and costs (pics would be great), any other specs etc will probably be lost on me.

Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

Jim

Hangfire79

Newly Enlightened
What is this light going to be used for? What type of rifle will it be mounted on? How much $$ are you looking to spend tops? Like with everything else, some feel the more you spend the better the quality, and some just want a top name brand to make it appear they know more or are more skilled than others. I find that price is not always indicative of quality. Personally, I like Primary Arms for the price and quality and the owner is a top notch, stand behind his product, kind of guy. You can find the site by a quick google search and maybe even some reviews on youtube. For a bit more $ you can get into any number of other reputable manufacturers such as 4Sevens, Eagletac, Fenix, OLight, etc. etc. Most important thing is to find the one you like and then do tons of research, i.e. reviews from those that own it, youtube reviews to see it in action, and make sure they company has a great warranty and return policy.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Jim. If you want a solid weapon light at a decent price, grab a Surefire G2/6P and a Malkoff M60 "drop-in" for it. The Malkoff M60 put out around 260 Lumens, and will light up objects (on a dark night) about 100 yards away...more than you would need for shooting or self-defense. The Market Place is a great place to find Flashlights and Drop-In's at reduced prices. Do a search (in the top left) for "surefire malkoff weaponlight" and enjoy the reading.

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
What kinda mount are you looking at? I've been thinking about getting a cheaper setup to mount on my Sig 522 for night shooting but its not something I want to spend a whole lot of money on because we don't do it very often.

Hangfire79

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Sig 522 SWAT also, one of my favorites. Again, for that rifle, nothing like a Primary Arms. No, I don't work for them, just very pleased with the product and service I received, they are one of the most reputable merchants on arf forums. Their red dots are amazing quality as well.

If this is going to be for a duty rifle or something similar, I'd suggest spending the little extra and going with something with a reputation for taking abuse, that wee bit of extra may be all the difference, an example would be ACOG vs Tasco, lol. For a fun-n-gun rifle or a range queen, possibly home defense, you may opt to go a little cheaper of a route.

Last edited:

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Sig 522 SWAT also, one of my favorites. Again, for that rifle, nothing like a Primary Arms. No, I don't work for them, just very pleased with the product and service I received, they are one of the most reputable merchants on arf forums. Their red dots are amazing quality as well.

If this is going to be for a duty rifle or something similar, I'd suggest spending the little extra and going with something with a reputation for taking abuse, that wee bit of extra may be all the difference, an example would be ACOG vs Tasco, lol. For a fun-n-gun rifle or a range queen, possibly home defense, you may opt to go a little cheaper of a route.
Nice! I have a Primary Arms M4 and just ordered a 3x magnifier with flip mount :)

I'm a big fan of those guys as well, I didnt even realized they sold a weaponlight! This is a pretty good deal for $80! http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=40&categoryId=118

Heres my rifle as of right now. :thumbsup:
MqUBd.jpg

xMzwl.jpg

Hangfire79

Newly Enlightened
Very nice, love the OD furniture! I've just sent a message to them asking that they update the sight with additional info, emitter, reflector, max throw in meters, batteries, all the good stuff.

My SWAT model with an M3 multi reticle.
DSC05205.jpg

Last edited:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Malkoff but I would use a M2 head on that 6P and get a tailcap replacement like a Z59 or a McClicky in a Z41... you know... just in case... and I would recommend the M61... Better runtime and more flood... If you like flood...

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without knowing whether or not you need a pressure pad switch or not, I'd suggest;
Quark Maelstrom G5 or X7 with a smooth reflector for throw. (pressure switch avail)
Or the Armytek Predator (don't think it has a pressure switch available)

Capt. Nemo

Newly Enlightened
Haven't been on here in a while, but stay away from a weapon mounted Maelstrom G5. Excellent throw, but I have been having problems with the light malfunctioning. The head of the light is sensitive to side shock from being bumped around while mounted below the barrel. I'm a LEO as well and was on a K-9 track last night and it stopped working half way through. I've found if I rotate the head it will start working again, but not the type of thing I need to have to do during the middle of a search. Stick with a single function, purpose built weapon light.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to know, thanks for the save.

I'll say I recommend a Surefire with a Nailbender Xpe potted electronics

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Australia, we cannot own assualt or military style firearms. Pretty much bolt, lever or pump action stuff only. I suggest that Jim should post a picture of the model of rifle (or at least state the brand and model if posting pics are not practical) he wants to have the light fitted to, this would help a lot.

Last edited:

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
Surefire 6p and a Malkoff- It'l be about 100 bucks total. You can get an incandescent 6P NEW on ebay for 35-40 bucks. Add 60 or so for the malkoff and you are in business.

Blitzwing

Enlightened
Hello,

I have attempted to look through this forum for this information however to be honest I am out of my league in knowledge and lost in acronyms and information at the moment. As a result I though I would get some guidance from the pro's.

Needed - A torch to attach to my rifle that is going to have long throw. I am interested in knowing distance that it will get out to, size of torch and costs (pics would be great), any other specs etc will probably be lost on me.

Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

Jim

A couple of things - how much throw do you need? What rifle - kind of goes with how much throw you need. A .22LR won't need as much throw as a .223, for example. I do a fair bit of this sort of hunting - mostly small game like rabbits and predators like foxes and feral cats, and occasionally a pig or two if they cross my path. I have different lights for different guns, different applications.

jellydonut

Enlightened
+1 on the Malkoff but I would use a M2 head on that 6P and get a tailcap replacement like a Z59 or a McClicky in a Z41... you know... just in case... and I would recommend the M61... Better runtime and more flood... If you like flood...
Um..

Whatever you do, do *not* use a Malkoff in an M2-type head on a weapon light.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?294200-Malkoff-M61-in-Surefire-618-shotgun-light

Use a regular Z44 (standard 6P) head, to keep the dropin snug.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of things - how much throw do you need? What rifle - kind of goes with how much throw you need. A .22LR won't need as much throw as a .223, for example. I do a fair bit of this sort of hunting - mostly small game like rabbits and predators like foxes and feral cats, and occasionally a pig or two if they cross my path. I have different lights for different guns, different applications.

Ditto...I don't know why people ask for a weapon light that will throw 200 yards (2 Friggin Foot Ball Fields). Only people that may need that kind of throw on a weapon light are professional snipers. 100 yards max should be plenty for 99% of weapon light applications...

Last edited:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about Elzetta? I have been considering a drop in set up in the future and I want to go with Elzetta, but I want the light to take 18650s and I don't want to bore it out or have a 3rd party to so. Elzetta is manufactured specifically for Malkoff dropins.

Ditto...I don't know why people ask for a weapon light that will throw 200 yards (2 Friggin Foot Ball Fields). Only people that may need that kind of throw on a weapon light are professional snipers. 100 yards max should be plenty for 99% of weapon light applications...
I am ignorant about weapon lighting but I am assuming that increased throw will not significantly compromise light performance (besides potentially blinding oneself with reflections). I would think the increased throw would allow you to spot a target before it came into your appropriate firing range. At the same time, I am thinking spill/flood is also important which will decrease throw... These are assumptions and I'm not sure if they are practical, but I like to learn so please correct me.

Last edited:

Blitzwing

Enlightened

Actually, I regularly shoot things at 150m and that's just with my .17HMR.... :D

jim.obrien.qld

Newly Enlightened
Firstly thanks for the replies.

Any thoughts on the Kill Light KLR250? This is the type and style I am looking at.
http://www.elusivewildlife.com/products.htm?section=22&p=productMore&iProduct=279

In reply to some of the other posts it is going onto a Tikka T3 Light 22.250 fitted with a Leupold 3x9. I will try and get a photo up shortly. As far as costs go looking at spending $150 - $250 (happy to go a bit higher if it is worth it)

Cheers

Last edited: