Need to patch an existing reflector...

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I'm busy building a flood light using some XM-L LEDs. I was initially intending on making my own housing, but I recently found some 150W halogen work/flood lights at my local hardware store selling for $8. Seen as the case is diecast aluminium and design to dissipate heat I figured I could just mod the thing to take my LEDs. Cheap enough to try anyway!

The only issue I have found is that once the halogen bulb and all its electronics have been removed, the thin aluminium reflector has 2 gaping holes in it either side of centre where the ceramic bulb contact holder thingies went. This is obviously not ideal. I would prefer to just patch the holes because everything fits so well together, plus the existing reflector – however dodgy – seems to produce I nice even flood.

Simply put my only thought on how to patch these holes up is to fold a few sheets of alfoil over and glue them over the holes. It's reflective and basically the same stuff – just not textured as much as the rest of the reflector.

Good? Bad? Better ideas out there? I can post some photos tonight if needed…

Any help would be appreciated, though I feel there are not many options. Pretty sure you can;t buy sheets of 'reflector' material lol.

Regards,

- Matt

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noted. I only need 2 tiny peices (roughly 30mm x 20mm) but depending on the success of this first try I might make a few so could be worth the outlay.