What headlamp are you using for "BackPacking" ?

5150Bronco

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to getting a specific headlamp for backpacking.

I dont like the tikka plus I have. Too floody.

I want something that is great for around camp, good flood and also for backpacking etc which need good throw and spot something at decent distance.

Thanks guys!

carrot

Flashaholic
It's funny, because I'm thinking of switching over to a Tikka 2 (essentially the newer Tikka+) for backpacking because I like the floody beam.

You may find the Princeton Tec EOS more to your liking, with its lensed beam. It has somewhat more throw than the Tikka but is still diffuse enough for close up work.

On the other hand, you may like the Tikka 2 XP even more: it has an even tighter beam but has a flip-up diffuser for work around camp. The Tikka 2 XP also has a red LED mode, which is a well-liked feature in backpacker circles because it doesn't blind your neighbors, should you have any.

Edit: One last one: The Spark and Fenix headlamps are generally geared towards throw, so they may be worth a look too. I don't have any personal experience with them, however, so I can't tell you anything about them. They may be heavier than the more traditional outdoors brands.

Last edited:

vtunderground

Enlightened
If I was going backpacking, I'd bring my Surefire Saint Minimus. I'd definitely leave the full Saint battery pack at home, it's too bulky, and when I'm hiking I usually keep the Saint on the 'low' click, so runtime isn't really an issue. BUT, if you think the Tikka Plus is too floody, you probably won't like the Saint either. It's also not an ideal light for spotting things at a distance.

The PT Eos might be a good option for you (I'm also basing this on comments you've made in other threads) It throws pretty far, but the beam is just wide enough to be useful at closer range. The PT Apex Pro might also be good, if you want a light that gives you the choice between a spot and flood beam, and don't mind a little extra bulk. The PT Remix or Remix Pro look good on paper, but I can't in good conscience recommend something with a battery door that prone to failure.

5150Bronco

Newly Enlightened
you guys rock. Thanks for the helpful feedback.

I just dont like the tikka plus and how it is just a flood beam. It is good for up close work for sure! How does the eos or remix work with regard to the tikka plus flood?

I like surefire no matter what, but I am being cautious and doing me research instead of just buying the minimus.

Thanks!

robostudent5000

Enlightened
if you want throw, i'd get a Spark ST6 that takes 2x123 batteries (since you mentioned in another thread you already carry 123s). price is competitive with Apex Pro, has a brighter hi and a dimmer lo, is a little bit lighter, and has better battery life. if you want flood, you can make or buy a bottle cap type diffuser for the Spark.

one thing about the Apex Pro that hasn't been mentioned is this (i know this is a kind of a carry over from another thread, but bear with me): the hi spot is 200 lumens at 1 hour, the lo spot is about 110 lumens at 7 hours, the hi flood is about 50 lumens for 5 hours, and the lo flood is about 15 lumens for 12 hours. the runtimes for the spot beam at the levels listed are fine, but the lack of a lower lo (something around 50 lumens) is a real bummer. the runtimes for the flood beam, however, suck.

i think when you're backpacking, you really should have a light that can give you 40-50 lumens for 10 hours or more and has a mode of 10 lumens or less for 20 hours or more, and the Apex Pro really falls short of that. even more than the bulk or the bad hinge, the poor choice of light levels and low runtimes were what really turned me off of the Apex.

now i use a Eos. the Eos barely meets my runtime criteria and i've been happy with it. but it sounds like you're looking for a brighter lamp than a 70 lumen Eos. check out the Sparks.

Last edited:

yowzer

Enlightened
For backpacking, where I'm camping at night, I use a Zebralight H501w (Backed up by a Quark Mini AA nw or SC50w+, for those late night trips to the lavatree). If I'm going to be moving around on trails at night, I'll use a H51w instead. Given you calling the Tikka+ too floody, that or the H51Fw would probably be a better choice for your needs. Black Diamond's headlamps are worth looking into too. And Mammut, if they ever upgrade the LEDs in their lights from Luxeons... (I love the design of the TXlite, but it's showing its age)

ryguy24000

Enlightened
I use a Spark st5 ow with a Quark Mini backup. I would like to get a Spark st6 or a zebra for a little extra poop. I have a lenser H7 and I don't really like it. I am affraid it isn't waterproof enough and the flood is not that floody more like spot flood. Poor runtimes too!

5150Bronco

Newly Enlightened
great guys!

Thanks for bringing up time. I think time is really important and my time criteria is pretty close. 10 hours is good for sure.

I will look into the spark. I want to consider weight too, but just want to get general light opinions than get down to the particulars.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
The PT EOS has a beam that works well in camp and on the trail. I am packing for a trip right now and will be using a ZL H501w and 4SEVENS Quark AA Mini Q3-5A. I have been using the Fenix HL20 when there is a good chance of a night hike.

Last edited:

5150Bronco

Newly Enlightened
The PT EOS has a beam that works well in camp and on the trail. I am packing for a trip right now and will be using a ZL H501w and 4SEVENS Quark AA Mini Q3-5A. I have been using the Fenix HL20 when there is a good chance of a night hike.

Can I just get some more of your opinion......

Why not using PT EOS?

Can you describe your choice of light for your trip? Maybe I can get different thought process for what you are doing....

Thanks!

5150Bronco

Newly Enlightened
if you want throw, i'd get a Spark ST6 that takes 2x123 batteries (since you mentioned in another thread you already carry 123s). price is competitive with Apex Pro, has a brighter hi and a dimmer lo, is a little bit lighter, and has better battery life. if you want flood, you can make or buy a bottle cap type diffuser for the Spark.

one thing about the Apex Pro that hasn't been mentioned is this (i know this is a kind of a carry over from another thread, but bear with me): the hi spot is 200 lumens at 1 hour, the lo spot is about 110 lumens at 7 hours, the hi flood is about 50 lumens for 5 hours, and the lo flood is about 15 lumens for 12 hours. the runtimes for the spot beam at the levels listed are fine, but the lack of a lower lo (something around 50 lumens) is a real bummer. the runtimes for the flood beam, however, suck.

i think when you're backpacking, you really should have a light that can give you 40-50 lumens for 10 hours or more and has a mode of 10 lumens or less for 20 hours or more, and the Apex Pro really falls short of that. even more than the bulk or the bad hinge, the poor choice of light levels and low runtimes were what really turned me off of the Apex.

now i use a Eos. the Eos barely meets my runtime criteria and i've been happy with it. but it sounds like you're looking for a brighter lamp than a 70 lumen Eos. check out the Sparks.

Hi,

what spark st6 were you thinking of? I have been looking into them....

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
For your use, another vote for Petzl Myo RXP or a Spark. The H51f is a "directional flood" which combines a bit of both, but is more flood. But it sounds to me that you want a dual beam light. Lots of those listed in the flood thread in my sig line. Myo RXP would be at the top of my list.

5150Bronco

Newly Enlightened
yea. I think I am leaning towards dual beam. Makes sense to me right now. I just always like multiple use gear options anyway.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
i think you're just going to have to try out various options for yourself and see what you like. you can get as many opinions as you like, but with the widely varying ideas about what works in a backpacking light setup, what works for some may not work for you. for instance, some guys have a Zebra H501 (pure flood beam) for a primary and a throwy handheld for backup. some guys just use a PT Eos (diffuse spot beam) with something like a Photon for a backup like i do. some guys carry a head cannon. people's preference vary.

on top of that, people's perception of light quality varies too. what some people consider just floody enough may not be floody enough for others or too floody for some. you think the Petzl Plus's beam is too floody, for other it's perfect. you know?

plus, guys do different things while backpacking. some guys never hike at night, some hike extensively at night. some guys never go off trail, some guys venture far off trail. some guys only camp at established campgrounds, some guys camp where ever they want. and depending on what you do when you're out in the woods, you may be able to get away with a 20 lumen Petzl Tikkina or you may need more light than a 350 lumen Petzl Ultra. it really depends.

Last edited:

5150Bronco

Newly Enlightened
I understand what you are saying, but I can get a very good idea because I have one shot at buying something now.

I believe tikka plus is too floody.

I want both flood and beam.

What are peoples thoughts about LED LENSER H7...?