orange peel or smooth reflector

JetZyZz

Newly Enlightened
ok so i know what the orange peel and smooth reflector do but im not sure on if there is a real diffrence between the two i have the jetbeam 3m r5 with a smooth reflector and the jetbeam rrt3 with an orange peel .... how much diffrence would there be if i changed both the reflectors around ?

Last edited:

LowFlux

Enlightened
The Jet-III M has a head diameter of 33mm and the RRT-3 has a head diameter of 63mm. There is no chance of swapping reflectors between these 2 models.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The size/width of a reflector also determines how good it is at focusing the light, the OP effect is balancing out the extra throw afforded by the RRT-3's larger reflector size, if they were both SMO or both OP the Raptor would throw significantly further.

JetZyZz

Newly Enlightened
yeah sorry i probably didnt explain myself to go i didnt mean swap them over from one torch to the other i was thinking of buy new reflectors for each but i dont exactly want to buy them if there isnt that much of a diffrence in them

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please click on the link below to Selfbuilt's detailed review on the Jetbeam Jet III M:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...iew-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-DETAILED-PICS-and-more

Theoretically, we all know that smooth reflectors throw further, and that OP reflectors break and diffuse the light a little, to rid those doughnuts and rings, but how much diminishing throw does an OP have? A little? Moderate? Or a lot?
Selfbuilt says that in his, and other reviewer's tests, there is very little difference between the Jetbeams with smooth versus OP reflectors, so you may as well go with the OP to get a nice smooth beam...

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, to make that clear - Selfbuilt says there is very little difference in "throw" between the smooth and the orange peel reflectors, but the OP's do give a very smooth beam over the rings in the SMO reflector.

JetZyZz

Newly Enlightened
Its all good that helped so much thanks heaps for that to, now i know not to waste my time getting the new reflectors lol