Help removing RA Clicky reflector for xml mod

cottonpickers

Newly Enlightened
I'm struggling to remove the reflector from my 120 RA Clicky exec. I want to put an xml in it, but I guess its got loctite or thread locker on it. I tried heating it up but still won't budge -any tips? Alternatively does anyone do upgrades?

Thanks for any advice.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The custom modified discussion would be a better place to ask around for advice.
Icarus, Vestureofblood are both great modders that have done work for me in the past.
I'm sure there's enough HDS owners here that someone has tips for you?

Bass

Enlightened
The bezel should just unscrew, there is no loctite or glue used. However, the bezel is threaded and has an o ring, which may in time 'sieze' making it difficult to remove. I suggest a pair of 'marigolds' or something grippy - it will come off.

The reflector sits in the bezel, so 9/10 times if you unscrew the bezel the reflector comes off with it. Once you have the bezel and reflector off it is easy to gain access to the LED and wires for modification, if you know what to do.

Good luck.

bansuri

Enlightened
Big, wide rubber bands have worked for me. You might even try those little rubber bracelets that are all the rage. One on the reflector and one on the head.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was able to just use my hand on the tail end, but for the bezel I had to use a pair of channel locks with my mouse pad wrapped around the bezel. The grippy rubber bottom of the mouse pad served to provide the friction needed and the squishy mouse pad protected the bezel from the teeth of the channel locks.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
A pair of hose clamps and a 1" bicycle innertube cut into bands works fairly well, though I use bionic wrenches myself.
If you're looking for modding services, I offer them.

cottonpickers

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all the advice and encouragement.sounds like I just need to be a bit more enthusiastic. ;) otherwise Ill try Cowboy.