Malkoff M61W w/ MD2?

woodentsick

Enlightened
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to get the MD2 with high/low switch, running on 2 CR123a primaries with the Malkoff M61W. Does anyone have lumen and/or runtime approximations on the low mode?

Thanks!

Woodentsick

EDIT: Just read on Malkoff's website that the low output is 10-20 lumens. Still don't have runtime info...

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting question. I am still awaiting the arrival of the M61HCRI and MD2 with hi/Lo switch from Illumination Supply and may consider getting another M61W for it. May switch the M61HCRI onto my Surefire and use the M61W for the MD2 if that happens.

woodentsick

Enlightened
I was also about to order the M61HCRI and MD2 with Hi/Low switch, from Illumination Supply too, but I don't want such a warm light (3000K) along with a decrease in lumens, considering that I'm already planning to purchase the HDS High CRI which is rumored to have a Cree XP-G in it (same LED as M61HCRI). I think the M61W is perfect.

However, this will be my primary hiking light, so I want to know if the low mode will put out ~25 lumens, which is perfect for hiking IMO. Long runtimes would help too :D

Woodentsick

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the Hi/Lo ring yet but I can say you will love the M61W and MD2 set-up! Such a pleasing beam of light and the MD2 McClicky is perfection! I'd love to hear back from you if you do a run time test on low when you get it.

jonesy

Enlightened
I thought I heard somewhere it's around 100 hours of runtime on low. I have this exact combo and absolutely love it. My M61W is one of the first run cooler version and it's comparable to the new zebralight neutrals IMO. I find the low is more than adequate for walking along a trail if your eyes are adapted to the dark. It's probably the one light I won't sell.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The output will vary depending on the voltage of the batteries you use. I think it gives a very useful lo mode for outdoor with both 2x16340 and a 18650.
Did sort of a lo mode runtime test when I forced a triple xp-g module in my md-4. (2x tenergy 18650 2600mAh.) If i remember correctly, it looked dimmer after 39 hours. And protection kicked in when i tried to run it in high mode for some seconds:oops:.

I think it wont matter that much what p60 module you use in lo mode. The bottleneck is the resistor in the hi/lo ring and the module (any module) will use all the power it get's. So runtimes on lo will be the same. Someone correct me if im wrong on this one.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I frequently do night hike in Pulau Ubin so when I get the M61HCRI, I will let you know if the low is suitable for hiking. My assumption is that if the low on the M61HCRI is enough for hiking and trekking then the M61W on low should be more than adequate. That assumption is based on the fact that we may be sharing the same idea and likes on what makes a low mode good enough for hiking without it being too dim nor too bright. I think 25 lumen as what you have suggested is just right.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is only a guess, but the low on the M61HCRI on a single 18650 is about half of the M61w on two 18500's. I would say about 10 to 15 lumens. If I reverse the heads, the M61HCRI is brighter on low than the M61w. But given the same battery configuration on low, the HCRI is about 5 to 10 lumens dimmer than the M61w.

So the M61HCRI on low using a single 18650 appears to be around 10 lumens, and on two 18500's about 20 lumens.
The M61w on low using a single 18650 appears to be around 15 lumens, and on two 18650s about 25 lumens.

Hope that helps some.

Last edited:

woodentsick

Enlightened
I frequently do night hike in Pulau Ubin so when I get the M61HCRI, I will let you know if the low is suitable for hiking. My assumption is that if the low on the M61HCRI is enough for hiking and trekking then the M61W on low should be more than adequate. That assumption is based on the fact that we may be sharing the same idea and likes on what makes a low mode good enough for hiking without it being too dim nor too bright. I think 25 lumen as what you have suggested is just right.

If the HCRI has a low of about 20-30 lumens, then I might consider getting that instead of M61W :)

Draz

Newly Enlightened
This is an amazing combo, I just traded one for a surefire LX2 only because I needed some throw. You will love this light:naughty:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was also about to order the M61HCRI and MD2 with Hi/Low switch, from Illumination Supply too, but I don't want such a warm light (3000K) along with a decrease in lumens, considering that I'm already planning to purchase the HDS High CRI which is rumored to have a Cree XP-G in it (same LED as M61HCRI). I think the M61W is perfect.

You might want to know that there has been some changes to the current batch of M61W drop-in. As taken from Malkoff's website,

"The Current Run of M61W's are 3700K 80CRI.* They are*Very Warm in Tint."

woodentsick

Enlightened
You might want to know that there has been some changes to the current batch of M61W drop-in. As taken from Malkoff's website,

"The Current Run of M61W's are 3700K 80CRI.* They are*Very Warm in Tint."

Yup I've seen that :) and IMO it's almost perfect - 200 OTF lumens @ 3700K

However I'm not sure if Craig@Illumination Supply has the 3700K ones (which I want) or the 4000K ones, which is why I haven't ordered yet.... I've decided against the HCRI... for now :whistle:

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe Craig has the 4000K ones. You could always check with him or you could order it from him and if you really don't like the tint I could always get it from you at cost of what you've paid. Let me know what you think.

**EDIT**

On second thought, this might not work since you are getting the MD2 at the same time and you would be left without a drop-in if I were to acquire the M61W from you.

Last edited:

woodentsick

Enlightened
I've emailed him already, and I'm awaiting a reply..
The thing is, I need this light within 3-4 weeks so I can't afford the risk of needing to reorder :( plus, the shipping is itself $13 US!

I'll let you know when Craig replies!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got the MD2 and M61HCRI in the mail. Splendid tint color very much suited for the outdoors. Can't say how excited I am feeling right now with anticipation to test it on the next trekking trip. Don't expect it to be very bright on high but it is definitely bright enough for most usage. Most likely in the ballpark of 150 lumen? Low is somewhere near 10 to 15 lumen, a little lower than required for trekking but I don't see that as a big problem.

woodentsick

Enlightened
Just got the MD2 and M61HCRI in the mail. Splendid tint color very much suited for the outdoors. Can't say how excited I am feeling right now with anticipation to test it on the next trekking trip. Don't expect it to be very bright on high but it is definitely bright enough for most usage. Most likely in the ballpark of 150 lumen? Low is somewhere near 10 to 15 lumen, a little lower than required for trekking but I don't see that as a big problem.

Nice!! Lol, I'll have to wait until Jan 2012 before I can own a High CRI light, because I've made up my mind on the M61W (still waiting for confirmation from Craig on whether he has the 3700K ones).

The low seems just about adequate for most hiking trails with the HCRI, from your estimate of 10-15 lumens, so the M61W would probably have around 20+ lumens...which is basically ideal :)
Please let us know how the M61 HCRI performed during your next trekking trip, maybe you could give us another amazing High CRI photo thread from Ubin? :naughty: :D

Woodentsick

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I compared my M61w/MD2/High-low ring with my Zebralight's SC60w 11 lumen mode. The M61w on low with a fully charged 18650 is slightly less bright than the Zebralight SC60w 11 lumen mode. Assuming the Zebralight is rated correctly, I would put the Malkoff low mode (using one 18650) at about 9 lumens.

I've never done a run time test on low mode but I am assuming it is not that great since the low mode is achieved by using a resistor. Any extra power is converted to heat by the resistor as opposed to using PWM or current regulation. Anybody else have an opinion on this. It would seem low mode would not run very long because of the use of the resistor.

woodentsick

Enlightened
I compared my M61w/MD2/High-low ring with my Zebralight's SC60w 11 lumen mode. The M61w on low with a fully charged 18650 is slightly less bright than the Zebralight SC60w 11 lumen mode. Assuming the Zebralight is rated correctly, I would put the Malkoff low mode (using one 18650) at about 9 lumens.

I've never done a run time test on low mode but I am assuming it is not that great since the low mode is achieved by using a resistor. Any extra power is converted to heat by the resistor as opposed to using PWM or current regulation. Anybody else have an opinion on this. It would seem low mode would not run very long because of the use of the resistor.

That's exactly what I thought, the use of the resistor would make the low mode much more inefficient than the lower-output drop-ins, such as the M61WLL etc...
And if the brightness with an 18650 is ~10 lumens, two primary CR123's would make it slightly brighter, hopefully in the 20-lumen range :)

woodentsick

Enlightened
Hey all,

Craig replied that his M61W's were the 3700K ones. I just ordered the MD2 body w/ Hi-Lo with the M61W drop-in :)
I'll post an update on brightness when I get it!

Woodentsick