A vintage Ray-O-Vac I fixed up for a boss of mine (Pictures included)

Eddie-M

Newly Enlightened
So here's the scoop. My old boss is a flashaholic, and he had recommended this site to me a while ago. He carries a Fenix to work and at the time I had a 3 watt Life-Gear LED flashlight from Target. Anyhow, thanks to him telling me about this site, I have built a bunch of LED flashlight mods using the P7 and SST-90, and more recently hotwire mods using incandescent bulbs including the Osram 64623 and 64658 :devil:

Recently he had bought an old Ray-O-Vac flashlight at an antique market and was wondering if there was anything I could do to it. The light is unique in that the body is thin gauge copper. It is about an inch shorter than a 2D Maglite and thinner too. The challenge in modifying the light was in keeping all the parts unmodified so as to retain the collectors value.

This pretty much limited me to drop-ins. The flashlight was originally designed to accept two D cell batteries and luckily like many of you on this site, I have come to aquire a bunch of cheapo 1D-3AA battery adapters. They are not a great solution for a high current bulb, but in the case of the Ray-O-Vac I would have to use a low current bulb anyway because the stock reflector is plastic and I do not want to melt it with a higher power bulb.

So all I did was replace the two D batteries with 6AA using a couple adapters. I had to extend the positive contact of one of the adapters with a solder blob. Originally I was running a 5 cell Maglite bulb off the 6AA but then figured out that because of all the resistance in the system, I could get away overdriving a 4 cell Maglite bulb. The stock lens on the Ray-O-Vac was a 50mm glass lens but it was cracked down the middle. The simple solution was to take an extra 52mm Maglite polycarbonate lens and cut away a thin strip around the perimeter. It's not perfect, but the edge is hidden inside the flashlite head anyway.

Overall, I am happy with how it turned out. It's a neat little flashlite with a tight hotspot and a bit whiter and brighter than a stock 6D maglite. But pictures speak louder than words and I talk to much anyway, so here it is :)

DSC_1915.jpg

DSC_1919.jpg

DSC_1920.jpg

DSC_1922.jpg

Stock 6D Maglite

DSC_1923.jpg

Ray-O-Vac

DSC_1924.jpg

Stock 6D Maglite vs Ray-O-Vac

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: An old Ray-O-Vac I fixed up for a boss of mine (Pictures included)

I like it! I did the same thing to a co-workers Bianchi B-Lite last year for him. I used the 5 cell bulb but never thought of trying the 4 cell.

OCD

Enlightened

That's a good idea! I have an old rayovac (not as cool as the one you modded) that I found in an old house. Its missing its lense and is a little rusty...but it would make a pretty cool beater light.

Eddie-M

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the replies! think2x, that Bianchi B is a sweet little light, I woulden't mind owning one. OCD, all you need to replace the lens is a maglite plastic lens and a sharp pair of scissors!

richpalm

Banned

I wanna do something like this-find a nice vintage light and put modern guts in it.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies! think2x, that Bianchi B is a sweet little light, I woulden't mind owning one. OCD, all you need to replace the lens is a maglite plastic lens and a sharp pair of scissors!

I wouldn't mind either and persistence pays off sometimes. I asked him to sell it to me quite a few times and he always said no, then one day after seeing a few of my modded Maglites he said he had a deal for me. He hands me a 4D Maglite and says "If you make it brighter I'll give you this"......and then hands me the B-Lite! Long story short.....he has an XM-L 4D Mag and I have the B-Lite.

swampgator

Enlightened

Originally I was running a 5 cell Maglite bulb off the 6AA but then figured out that because of all the resistance in the system, I could get away overdriving a 4 cell Maglite bulb.

Somewhere on here there's a ROP thread or possibly a Sleeper thread where someone took an old ROV bullet shaped light and ROP'd it. I liked the idea as well and did it to an Eveready Capitan. You did a good job and made a cool light brighter!

Eddie-M

Newly Enlightened

I wouldn't mind either and persistence pays off sometimes. I asked him to sell it to me quite a few times and he always said no, then one day after seeing a few of my modded Maglites he said he had a deal for me. He hands me a 4D Maglite and says "If you make it brighter I'll give you this"......and then hands me the B-Lite! Long story short.....he has an XM-L 4D Mag and I have the B-Lite.

Very nice light! So what are your plans for modifying it?

Somewhere on here there's a ROP thread or possibly a Sleeper thread where someone took an old ROV bullet shaped light and ROP'd it. I liked the idea as well and did it to an Eveready Capitan. You did a good job and made a cool light brighter!

Hey, thanks alot swampgator!

I would have loved to use my WA1111 bulbs for this light since I have several extra from upgrading one of my lights to Phillips 5761 bulbs, but fivemega's bipin adapter doesn't fit into the lightbulb sleeve in this Ray-O-Vac, and I'm also afraid of melting the stock reflector. I have never tried the potted ROP bulbs, maybe the ROP-low doesn't create enough heat to melt it? I also have a 52mm plastic maglite lens trimmed down to about 50mm to worry about since I couldent find a 50mm borafloat lens.

Replacing the reflector with an all-metal one was out of the question because the stock reflector has a copper ring mounted to it which is part of the switch mechanism, and would be hard to replicate without anything short of a lathe.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice light! So what are your plans for modifying it?
I'm leaning towards getting a friend to turn a nice hefty heat sink and doing a Quad XP-G with optic.