How does your Fenix LD15 behave on a low battery?

purelite

Enlightened
I have a Fenix LD15 aa twisty as my EDC right now. Like it alot. Comes on high first and the beam has more focus and throw which I like also.

Have been on the 1st battery since I got it (an Energizer Lithium Primary). Been suing it alot recently in the basement and such and I knew soon it would need a new battery. I wanted to see how much runtime I would get off a battery also so I was using it alot for that reason also . Was in the basemnt yesterday and needed the light . Took out the LD15 which had been running on high just the day before with no issues, and fired it up. HMM output seemed very low. I fugured maybe I went past high and into low. Twist it off and on and no light. Started twisting on and off, on and off etc. Sometimes I would get it to turn on with a weak output and sometimes nothing after multiple twists.

I figured one of 3 things. It crapped out on me, dead battery or dirty threads.

I cleaned the threads and put the battery back in. Same thing still.

Put in a fresh Lithium and it fired right up brite as before with two modes.

So my question to LD15 owners

Does you LD15 behave the same way on a depleted battery? I was hoping for a slower decline in output followed a low output not achieving high but still producing light for a good while in lower and lower levels until I could get a new battery . I wouldnt be left in the dark using Lithiums also instead of a NIMH or something.
I thought Fenix was known for long runtimes and slow declines in out put and very battery efficient? Seems like this light will leave me in the dark when I need it most?

A bit dissappointed about this but I still like the light alot. Maybe a Quark would do better in this area? I dont like the small key ring hole on the quark or it starting on low first though but might deal with it if it does better on depleted cells

piang829

Newly Enlightened
a few nights ago i think i had been running on low batteries, and i was wondering why my LD15 wouldnt switch onto high mode. it kept a very dim light (i think it stayed on low mode)even though i was cycling through high and low modes looking for the high mode (maybe not enough juice left in the batteries). after installing new batteries it came back to normal, good high mode and good low mode, good as new. though i havent gotten to the point where i experienced any flickering yet...

Last edited:

eloreno

Newly Enlightened
I don't have an LD15 but I do have an LD01 and it behaves exactly as you described above when the battery starts to die.
I'm not sure as I'm new to this, but I was under the impression that these lights were regulated. I take this to mean that once the battery doesn't have
enough power to produce a certain amount of light the flashlight won't work anymore.