Custom-made Mag bezel #2 :)

The_Police

Enlightened
Well, today I started turning a piece of steel shaft from a large hydraulic cylinder to create another one of my heavy-duty bezels. I'm planning on crenelating and painting this one black to make it match my Maglite, unless I can polish its surface. It is only going to be about 3/4" to 1" past the lens though, this one is not going to be on an aspheric lens like my last one seen here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?285065-My-custom-made-Maglite-bezel so it won't need to be near as long.This one is going to go on a 2D Mag that is going to get a 6 Cree 1200 Lumen drop-in from DX.
I'll get pics posted as I make progress.

All suggestions are welcome! :D

Last edited:

The_Police

Enlightened
Now I have some pictures. :D
this is what I started with
af714af7.jpg

Then I want to know what you think. :) should I keep that part with a larger diameter? or would it look better if it was the same diameter? I'm going to crenelate this one.
20f7480c.jpg

I'm just boring the hole in this one.
1382f9b7.jpg

Let me know what you think!

The_Police

Enlightened
I am nearly finished, I just need to shorten it, cut threads, and crenelate it. Then I may polish it up nice, or paint it black, I haven't decided yet.

The crenelation will go on the larger diameter part.
f2b20c6f.jpg

50cb4f4e.jpg

a4632dd2.jpg

The_Police

Enlightened
Almost there! Just needs threaded and crenelated now.
56d379c7.jpg

Everything fits nicely,(even though that reflector won't be in there once my DX 6 led drop-in arrives)
f4553f60.jpg

I can see that is gonna look sick already... :D
454a40d1.jpg

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Solid steel! How much does it weigh? Is the 6 led drop-in from DX gonna need some work to fit?

The_Police

Enlightened
It probably weighs around 1-2 lbs, I'll get it weighed once I get it done. And yes, the DX drop-in will need some lathing done on it, and my Mag head also needs a few things lathed on it too, then I'll have to cut off the post that holds the stock light bulb and solder some wires to the drop-in. I also ordered some KD 3AA to D cell adapters for it to up the voltage.

I'm very satisfied with the bezel so far. As long as I can thread it without messing up, I'll be good to go. :D

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Cool :) I keep nearly pulling the trigger on those 3AA-D adapters on KD too. Could do with them for a friends 5 led DX module that im throwing in his mag,( i swear the 6 led module appeared the day after it got posted) would save me making an 18650 adapter and he could use his stack of eneloops in it.
Just not sure about the quality, ive heard they have quite a bit of resistance..

Last edited:

The_Police

Enlightened
A little resistance won't really hurt anything though, the DX drop-in states that it has a max input voltage of 8.4V, 6 AA batteries in series will be 9V. I guess I don't know how many Ohms of resistance they will have, but I could always put a resistor in the circuit too. I don't want to just use 5 batteries, then I'll only be using 7.5V. I wan't the maximum brightness I can get without burning it up.

I'll have to use my meter on those KD adapters and let you know how much resistance they have. I ordered them on the 20th of May so it'll probably be another two weeks until they get here though. (KD's shipping is slower than a snail) My DX drop-in should also be here fairly soon, i ordered it the same day.

PapaLumen

Enlightened
6 x eneloops which charge to 1.5v? should be about 1.2V under load so 7.2v total... throw in some resistance from the AA-D adapter and should be ok.. hopefully lol.
Im interested to see your resistance results.

The_Police

Enlightened
I got the bezel threaded this morning. It looks very nice so far.

72357f8d.jpg

8ea5a2b7.jpg

791bf1ae.jpg

I don't know if I really want to crenelate it, It looks good now... lol

The_Police

Enlightened
Today, I turned some of the metal out of the very end of the bezel, and I crenelated it. :D
Some more metal removed
b449793e.jpg

Here it is! I thought about adding some glow-dots to it, but I'm not sure how much I need them. Otherwise, I just need to polish it.
9ed2b5aa.jpg

The_Police

Enlightened
It is officially DONE!! :D Now all I can do is wait for my DX drop-in and KD battery adapters...

Here are a few pics of my completed & polished up bezel.
7e7ce047.jpg

17957e9e.jpg

bc495d95.jpg