8D Mag Mod

DrSwiger

Newly Enlightened
I have an old 8D Mag. I want to convert to LED with a drop in or build from scratch, but I need some help. ICan I get some advice on a good LED mod, best bang mod run on 8 standard D batteries?

My bad. Its a 7 D. I bought it at a garage sale about 2 years ago. I dont know much about it other than it is long as hell. i will try to post a pic. BTW, still looking for a mod suggestion.

Last edited:

ljw2k

Enlightened
You better spending a little on a standard 2D and saving alot on batteries.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah I am thinking its a 7D. I suggest keeping it original with a simple bulb change and a new lens and metal reflector. Nothing ir-reversible.

DrSwiger

Newly Enlightened
I am new here and the forum permissions say I may not post attachments. Help a brother out! What's up with that?

DrSwiger

Newly Enlightened
lightsd.jpg
Crummy photo but iphone is all I had. Obviously the tall black one. This is an old pic. I will post a new one as soon as I get a chance.

RepProdigious

Enlightened
Your picture isn't working for me..... Could you do a quick measurement on total length for me, if something like an 8d really exists i'm so getting one.

DrSwiger

Newly Enlightened
It measures right at 19 inches. Pretty long and heavy. Just for fun, I screwed a 2D extension on the end and it measures over 25. I removed it. Like I said, just for fun.
BTW. I posted a pic but you said it wasnt working. I used Image shack. Am I suppose to be able to see the image when I post it? Just a red X. Maybe someone can help me out if the moderator doent slap my hand with a ruler.

DrSwiger

Newly Enlightened
19 inches barrel and 22 at the head . If I add the extension tube, I get 25. Cost me $25. I bought it because I didn't know they existed.

DrSwiger

Newly Enlightened
Look at my original post. I realized that at corrected the typo. It IS a 7 D

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh, I missed that too. I guess most people don't re-read the whole thread. Well anyhow, the good news is a 7D is still pretty collectible, I would have certainly paid $25 bucks for it too. How's the condition? You said you had to get some bad batteries out, right?

There are a few threads on 7ds here on the forums, but I didn't find any about modding them, I think people don't want to do any permanent changes to them.

RepProdigious

Enlightened
Look at my original post. I realized that at corrected the typo. It IS a 7 D

Figures as there's no such thing as an 8D.

Unfortunately the 7D is a bit of an unlucky size as it will give you a bit of an odd voltage when loaded with either NiMh or regular alkalines.... you could however do some fancy stuff in there with Li-Ions, load it up with 7 IMR 18650s (should be possible with a tailcap mod) and you could slightly overdrive some nice 24v-250W bulbs in there to see how long they last. Should be great fun and doesn't need any mods to the tube so you keep its 'collectability' (as far as there is such a thing for a 7d) intact. Replacement tailcaps, switches and reflectors are found easily.

DrSwiger

Newly Enlightened
Seems most people believe I should leave it alone. It is a little banged up. How about having it anodized black again. Is this possible?

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every now and then someone here does a run of type III hard anodizing. That's way cool, but it ain't cheap. You can also look into home anodizing. It wouldn't be type III, the more simple type II, but still cool. Other options might be ceramic coat, painting with a product like cerakoat or durakoat (sp) For very small scuffs I have used a flat black paint marker but I doubt thats the result you want :)