MiniMag LED unreliability problem solved

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I first off want to apologize for lack of photos, I don't own a camera and even if I did what I'm about to describe would be hard to capture.

I've owned 3 of the minimag led models over the past several years and all have exibited the exact same issue. All 3 lights would work flawlessly for the first few months then they would slowly start showing issues I can only describe as "a bad contact" where the light would become intermediate, flicker somewhat, and fail to fully turn on half the time. At first this issue was blamed on the now infamous laynardless tailcap with the 2 metal prongs on the edge of the tailcap. All models now feature the tailcap with laynard hole which indeed is a better tailcap and more reliable. However, in my experience both tailcaped models still exibit the same issue. After close examination of both models I have found the source of the problem.

On the base of the led module is the metal contact plate which makes contact with the battery terminal. I have discovered that after frequent usage this metal contact actually wears from all the twisting of the bezel. This constant contact slowly grinds away at the contact plate making it less reliable with each twist of the bezel. It makes perfect sense that is why the lights work fine for a short period of time then they start having issues with flickering and not fully engaging half the time. On one of my minimag LED's there is actually fine metal "dust" from the battery constantly grinding the metal contact plate of the led.

So I have come to the conclusion that this is the source of the reliability problems with the mini mag LED and NOT the tailcap. I encourage anyone who has had similar issues to examine what I have described and post back your thoughts and opinions.

edpmis02

Enlightened
I just gave my "Gen 2" Rebel a spray of contact cleaner and used a Q-tip tapped to a pen to clean the positive contact point. It has improved the fluctuation issue that I have has since I got the light at Target for $4 during a clearance that I read about in Good Deals. My full price $24 "Gen 1" Rebel has been stable for two years. My Lux III version has also been a solid performer.. given it's well known "power off on low battery" issue.

I lube the threads on all my MiniMags just like my Quarks and Fenix. I like the electric candle feature of MiniMags and since they are reasonably priced. I can throw them in drawers around the house.

I like Maglite as a company (US made, and takes care of their workers) but get frustrated by some of their products. I hope they can pull it together..

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just gave my "Gen 2" Rebel a spray of contact cleaner and used a Q-tip tapped to a pen to clean the positive contact point. It has improved the fluctuation issue that I have has since I got the light at Target for $4 during a clearance that I read about in Good Deals. My full price $24 "Gen 1" Rebel has been stable for two years. My Lux III version has also been a solid performer.. given it's well known "power off on low battery" issue.

I lube the threads on all my MiniMags just like my Quarks and Fenix. I like the electric candle feature of MiniMags and since they are reasonably priced. I can throw them in drawers around the house.

I like Maglite as a company (US made, and takes care of their workers) but get frustrated by some of their products. I hope they can pull it together..

Hi, I am glad to hear your mini mags are holding up well. I wish I could say the same about all the one's I've owned. Under moderate use, mine would consistenly hold up for a few months then start exibiting the same issues. I guess a "halfway solution" so to speak would be to get a tailcap switch to limit the wear on the bezel, but I imagine it would still wear in time. Not to mention the only quality tailcap switch I know of is made by terralux, and it only comes in black from what I gather, nite ize makes one but I had seen bad experience with their products. I wonder if the terralux switch adds any signifigant resistance on the mag led?

notrefined

Enlightened
would a touch of solder to the + contact help ameliorate this issue? create another, easily replenishable layer to wear down?

Lightdadark

Newly Enlightened
Or get a tailcap switch for it so you only twist it on once and use the switch from then on.

Exactly. I have four Mini Mags that all have seen very frequent use. They all have TerraLux tail caps, and they all have no issues whatsoever. It's also a lot easier to scroll through the modes and you dont always have to keep messing with the beam focus.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly. I have four Mini Mags that all have seen very frequent use. They all have TerraLux tail caps, and they all have no issues whatsoever. It's also a lot easier to scroll through the modes and you dont always have to keep messing with the beam focus.

Lightdadark, as I have said before, even with the tailcap switch one would still have to focus the light at times which would eventually wear the plate anyway, a tailcap switch would just slow the process.

Lightdadark

Newly Enlightened
Lightdadark, as I have said before, even with the tailcap switch one would still have to focus the light at times which would eventually wear the plate anyway, a tailcap switch would just slow the process.
Hmmm, ok, well at the rate I use the focus that would take me roughly... not in my lifetime.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, ok, well at the rate I use the focus that would take me roughly... not in my lifetime.

Well, I guess it isn't really that big of an issue when you consider it's only a $15 flashlight so yeah, if it wears it wears, I just think it's unfortunate one has to buy an aftermarket part to make the light function properly.

Lightdadark

Newly Enlightened
Well, I guess it isn't really that big of an issue when you consider it's only a $15 flashlight so yeah, if it wears it wears, I just think it's unfortunate one has to buy an aftermarket part to make the light function properly.

But that all part of the fun! :thumbsup:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I guess it isn't really that big of an issue when you consider it's only a $15 flashlight so yeah, if it wears it wears...

My little black 2xAA Minimag is the first real light I can remember getting, so for me, it has sentimental value. :)

edpmis02

Enlightened
If it flickers.. don't forget to also clean the negative contact. I pulled the little spring out of the tailcap and gave it a wipe down.. Worth a shot!!

sunfire

Newly Enlightened
Using mine (led single-mode) for over 3 years. No issues so far.:)
I'm thinking about an incan host+led instead the new Pro...:thinking:

luceat lux vestra

Enlightened
When mine flickers all I do is just beat the snot out of it on some other hard surface till it works or breaks, and then I through it out, Hey at least I had some fun while it lasted!

{kidding}

purelite

Enlightened
The title of this thread should be changed because the problem isnt "solved" it has been discovered. There is no "fix" to the OP

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
The title of this thread should be changed because the problem isnt "solved" it has been discovered. There is no "fix" to the OP

My suggestion to OP is to take it apart down to the head and lay a thin solder blob on as a sacrificial shield to the PCB and see if that fixes it. Or take a damaged one, lightly sand the contact, and then throw solder on. Maybe it'll work, maybe it'll stay broken.