900 Lumen LED Stadium Light

Has any one tried making this?

http://www.instructables.com/id/36-Volt-900-Lumen-LED-Stadium-Lights/

I plan on making one because around my area there are a lot of power outages and want to light up my generator to thwart thieves and also haveing this would be fantastic

I appreciate your 2 cents

There is NO way that aluminum channel provides enough heat sink capability.

If you choose to do that, go get some aluminum heatsink from rapidLED 1.1" and rivet it to the channel. That will at least prevent you from burning out the LEDs in weeks and not years.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Aluminum channel makes a great heat sink but depends on how much you use and how many watts you're trying to push.

The problem with the instructables is that they are not monitoring power into the LEDs. For the brightness(looks higher than what they claim), those LEDs are overdriven and won't last too long. Use a driver, resistors, and/or check your current/voltage going into the LEDs to see how much power they are using.

If you want to make an equivalent light, use quality Cree, SSC, Luxeon, Bridgelux, Luminus, Edison, Citizen... LEDs, which many now give over a 100lm per watt.

Skip the JBweld and use Artic Silver or other thermal epoxy.

There are great projects in the instructables website but some are woefully under-developed.

For less than $35, you can get 10w LED outdoor flood/spot lights. And, they are water resistant for outdoor most weather usage.

Also look up the "Poor Man Regulator" option- basically you use LEDs to drop the voltage and then put a linear regulator on the last one. The linear regulator keeps the current fixed and dumps the excess voltage as heat...

Cheap and effective. Tested with many designs .