Advice: Powerful EDC Light

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
So basically, I'm addicted!

I recently got a Fenix LD10, and I really like it - very solid, practical, and both compact and powerful enough for the uses I'm likely to find for it.

However, I'm already hungry for more power! I still intend to keep the LD10 as my EDC light (especially as the AA format makes it low-cost to run), but I kind of want to buy a 'power toy', something that puts out loads of lumens. That said, I don't want it to be much bigger than the LD10, as I'd like to be able to carry it comfortably as part of my EDC if I feel like it.

I was looking at the Fenix PD30, as it's not much bigger than the LD10 (something like the LD20 would be too long), and provides a serious boost in power. But to be honest, I'm only looking at that because it's Fenix, and I know what I'll be getting - it's a safe option, and well within my budget.

However, I thought the flashaholics here at CPF might be able to offer me some alternatives, similar in size and power to the PD30, perhaps with even more power. Moreover, I'm willing to splash a bit more cash than a PD30 would necessarily cost - up to €100/£100, or the equivalent in dollars (provided it actually works out as equivalent once shipping is factored in).

For example, I was looking at the Nitecore Infilux IFE2, which puts out a lot of lumens for the size, is similar in form and length to the PD30 (making it EDC-friendly), and is just about in my price range. selfbuilt also did a review here which seemed very favourable. What do CPFers think of these lights, and are there other options that I should consider?

Thanks in advance guys!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave up carrying a Fenix L1P (forerunner to the LD10) because it was too long to fit in my then tight jeans. Switched to a twisty Civictor V1. A store in my town once carried Fenix. I found the P3D (PD30) too long for me to EDC. Almost as long as a L2D (LD20).

A 1AA battery is 1.2-1.5V. It needs a boost circuit to get to 3.6V needed by the LED. Usually the boost circuit is not powerful enough to make full use of the LED.
2AA/1 CR123A is 2.4-3V. The boost circuit needs to work less hard so more powerful ones can be built.
1 RCR123A is 4.2V dropping to 3V. So have enough voltage to drive an LED between the 4.2-3.6V part.
2 CR123A is 6V, more than enough.

1AA
Zeno E03 XML.
Zebralight H51.
Zebralight SC51.
~200 lumens. Just remember an alkaline battery will not have enough juice to power these guys to the max for long. You need an Eneloop.

2AA
Quark MiNi AA2. 5" long.
180 lumens.

1 CR123A
Quark MiNiX 123. 210 lumens.
Zebralight SC31. 220 lumens.

2*CR123A
Quark 123² Turbo "X". 450 lumens.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Fenix PD30 is a nice light, I have one.

But for my EDC, I use a Quark 123*2 Tactical XP-G R5. I haven't found anything better yet.

IMHO the Quark 123*2 'Tactical' has a very nice beam pattern, and small size fits in pocket nicely. The PD30 will throw a little better, as the hotspot is smaller and more defined. But I find for best overall functionality, it's hard to beat the Quark 123*2 Tactical XP-G R5. On the Quark 'Turbo' mentioned above, I would not recommend that for EDC. The head is large, and the light is really designed for throw, thus the hotspot is very small.

Just my $.02, of course.

Flashlight comparison pic below:

-

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
zebralight SC600 - 750 lumens on max, i think.
zebralight SC60 - is about the same length as a LD10, uses an XP-G, about 300 lumens max

check out lights that are using cree XM-L emitters if you want maximum lumens.

armytek is suppose to be releasing a new EDC light pushing a XM-L at 3 amps which would = bright!
should be around the same size as a pd30.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
You want something with lots of lumens, but small enough for EDC?

I recommend the Xeno E03 (490 lumens) - it's relatively cheap compared to many other lights, very well built, and runs on AA or 14500. Another choice would be the Thrunite IC (450 lumens) - it's about as bright as the E03, but smaller and has more modes including a very low mode. Note that both of these lights use XM-L emitters, so are very bright ... but very floody. They'll light up a room much better than your LD10, but won't throw very well.

If you want something really tiny try the Quark mini-X 123. Much smaller than even your LD10, and goes into direct drive on high mode. It should push around 500 lumens on high, but you can only run it on that mode briefly due to lack of heatsink.

Regardless of which you get, if you want power, you should invest in some Li-ion batteries and a charger. Modern lights run much better on them than on conventional batteries. Just make sure you read up on safety tips for Li-ion batteries so that your flashlight doesn't turn into a pipe-bomb.

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
The SC600 is awfully tempting (all those lumens!!), but in all honesty it just looks too bulky for EDC. It's shorter than the others, but I prefer to have the light hanging off a clip in my pocket (and I don't think the SC600 even has a clip yet). Despite that, I am genuinely interested in the light, but I'm just not sure I'd take the light with me every day.

Of those mentioned thus far, the Quark 123*2 Tactical XP-G R5 is the only one that's really giving the PD30 a run for its money in terms of what I want/need from the light - plenty of lumens in a small, discreet package. If I'm honest, a throwier beam is more appealing to me, but the battery flexibility and programming options offered by the Quark (and the momentary press) just seem really cool compared to the bare-bones of the Fenix. That said, I love the way my LD10 looks and feels, and I do worry that the momentary press on the Quark will end up going off in my pocket a lot. If people want to weigh in here with some more thoughts on these two lights, I'd appreciate it a lot!

Last edited:

Ian2381

Enlightened
I would also recommend getting the Xeno E03 XM-L, you just have to get a set of 14500 batteries and charger to maximize output capacity, you will still have the option to use AA batteries.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
iTP A3 EOS R5 with aluminum body. Feed it a 10440 and, with proper heat management, it will give you ~300lm OTF from something the size of your finger.

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
Been thinking and reading for hours, and I think I'm going to stretch for the ZebraLight SC600. For just a little more money I'll be getting a totally different class of light, and although it's a bit bulky, having reviewed a lot of pics I think I should be able to EDC it one way or another. The range of power modes is also really attractive - I can go from creating a soft glow to lighting up a large piece of ground with ease. I was swinging towards the Quark, but based on everything I've read I think the SC600 is the kind of showpiece I'm looking for. Now to rig myself up with a charger and batteries!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Wildlands

Newly Enlightened
I do not think you will be sorry. The SC600 is an excellent light, and it has become my new primary EDC, out of 16 similarly sized lights. It is rugged, light, and amazingly, amazingly bright. It goes in the right rear leg pocket on my 7 pocket hiking khakis, and I am looking forward to getting the clip when it comes out. This is my second Zebralight, and I am quickly becoming a big fan (not an easy task).