G2X Pro retaining ring

redsox985

Newly Enlightened
I managed to scratch up the lens of my G2X Pro recently and wanted to replace it, but getting the retaining ring off to access the lens is proving to be difficult. Has anyone removed it or does anyone know how to?

Thanks

redsox985

Newly Enlightened
Bump. I'd rather not send my light back to SF if I don't have to. Does anyone have an idea about what to do?

CheepSteal

Enlightened
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?289458-The-SureFire-6PX-G2X-Tactical-and-6PX-G2X-Pro-Thread/page22

Try looking through the last few pages of that thread.
I tried to replace the lens myself with a UCL and a new bezel but it didn't work out for me because of clearance issues. I emailed Surefire yesterday and they said they would send me a new lens/bezel assembly but it will mean that any weatherproofing damage that occurs is my responsibility and is NOT covered by their warranty, which is fair. I had specifically requested to not send the light in.

Good luck!

Edit: I had to use the Solarforce steel bezel removal plate and REALLY crank it to get the bezel off, even after boiling it. Another member simply used a mousepad. I don't recommend using a plastic bezel removal tool if your bezel is too tight as it will strip away the little nubs.

Last edited:

redsox985

Newly Enlightened
I've read else where about casting your own bezel tool from epoxy, bondo, etc. So I covered my bezel with saran wrap, filled it with JB weld, and then dropped in an oil drain plug so I had a nice point to grip and twist, assuming the JB weld filled the 6 little notches.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
That sounds pretty cool, good luck with that JB weld tool. My Solarforce metal plate tore up the plastic pretty bad because my bezel was on so darn tight. I had to actually put the plate into a gap in between a table and CRANK it to break that silly loctite.
Btw, do you have any mode bump issues with your model? Most CPF users with the G2X have it.

redsox985

Newly Enlightened
Yep. It's pretty easy to change modes. I read stretching the spring kinda fixes it, sometimes. If my casting doesn't work, I'll ship it back to SF and attach a note about the bump issue as well.

EDIT: I just went and checked the JB weld. No luck. It looks like this baby is being shipped back across the country to CA. :/

Last edited:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
I managed to unscrew mine by mistake, it was second hand so not sure if previous owner had a go at it.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
redsox, that's a shame that it didn't work. Good luck with the SF CS. I managed to remedy my bump issue fairly well by stretching the spring. SF also sent me a new tailcap with a stiffer spring which works even better than before, although I still had to stretch it.

abarth, I think your G2X might've have already been opened previously. The bezels are generally glued on to ensure "weatherproofing" properties and Surefire states it to not be a "user-serviceable" item. If you are worried about that, I would send it back to Surefire for re-evaluation of weatherproofing. They do not cover damage due to opening the bezel in their warranty.

redsox985

Newly Enlightened
I decided to also address the bump issue since I'm sending at all the way from PA out to them. I wrote a note and taped it around the body stating that it had the bump issue, although it wasn't covered in my initial claim and RMA number. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks here.