Maglite and direct drive

radical

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

There does not seem to be much info on this topic so i have done some experiments and builds for myself over the years and wish to share that info.

I have modded 4 4d cell mags (all on a tight budget), 3 with the SSC P7 and one with the SST-90. I have used standard alkline batteries, arctic silver epoxy, silver plated wire, glass lens (from flashlight lens) and britelumens heatsinks in all with standard reflectors (stem cut off).

I was very conservative with the SSC P7 builds so I incorporated a 1 ohm 8watt (vishay dale) resistor. The resistor is long. To made it fit I cut out a channel on the side of the switch and buried the resistor in there with epoxy. The alkline batteries are in series as per normal. The output is very bright (blows everything else away when we go camping) and the run time is long (still on original batteries after one year and three camping trips).

readings on fluke MM

new D cells
4.2 volts
1.6 amps

depleted D cells
3.88 volts
0.25 amps

The SST-90 is a different animal. I did not bother with a resistor (just straight through to the batteries via standard switch) because this sucker needs no restricting.

I built a parrallel adaptor for the batteries (because the Fv max is 3.9) that gave me 3 volts but that proved to be difficult to slide in the battery tube.

I then put in 4 d cells in series (6 volts) expecting the chip to go:poof: but it did not.
What saves the chip is the inability of the alkline cells to deliver more that 4.3 amps.

This thing generates a LOT of heat and light with no blue tint (the SSC P7 is a little candle in comparison).

readings on fluke MM

new D cells
5.77 volts
4.32 amps (stable)

depleted D cells
5.5 volts
0.35 amps (still usable light)

I don't like rechargables because my seldom use does not justify the cost (lithium ion cells age regardless if you use them or not). Don't like drivers either, sorry.

The SST-90 build is so neat, the soldering points are on the back, and the reflector can be screwed right down to the base of the heatsink (spot to flood adjustment not compromised)

parts needed
SST-90
brightlumens SST-90 heatsink
arctic silver epoxy
maglite 4d with "d" serial number prefix
wire

For the money it's as good as it gets.

cheers.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Moved to Homemade and Modified Flashlights Discussion - Norm