scorpion mods

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most practical and useful mod I've come up with is to use a Stinger bulb and a rechargeable 3.7v li-ion battery. Then use it all you want with battery costs to worry about.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems about the same to me, but all of the Streamlight bulbs seem a little on the yellow side as compared to Surefires. When used without comparison, it's not noticeable. I'm presently using a pill that I threw together, with CM's help, that consists of a modified E2e bulb holder that now sports a bi pin bulb socket. I'm using the Stinger bulb in my E2e with a Pila 168S li-ion rechargeable batt. The modded E2e serves as an alternate EDC with my E1e/modded KL1 package. I use it when I anticipate being in a situation requiring something really bright with throw. This combo still out performs all of my really pocketable LED lights.

catch228

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. Must be nice having a light that you can use for EDC and still be so bright.

Very cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
catch228,
If you want to see something really bright that is pocketable, do a search for "this is nascar"'s E2e mod where he puts a P61 HOLA into the E2e. I did one and man is it bright and HUNGRY too.

catch228

Newly Enlightened
Damn, that would be something to see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I have an L4, but like yourself would like something else for those times that I need more throw. Not quite the "modder" that you guys are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif so I was thinking of a scorpion. May end up getting a non LED TL-3 instead.

Thanks again

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
catch228,
If you foresee getting into the modding thing, get something that can be modded.

If you have an L4, get a KL1 head. You can mod the KL1 with a highdome luxeon. You can do this yourself, if you have basic soldering skills. If not, there are CPFers that could do it for you. You could also add a low profile fraen optic and have it overdriven to 700mA.

The modded KL1 head would be interchangeable with the KL4 on your L4 body. Although the KL1 would be a 1 watter and it would not have the total light output of the KL4, it would definitely out throw the KL4 by a long shot.

Another option in an incandescent (did I spell that right?) would be the Pelican M6. Many people are modding these with really good results. The parts needed can be acquired at the Sandwiche Shoppe. If you're not comfortable doing your own mods, the drop modules, commonly know as McModules can be purchased already completed on this forum. The PM6 costs about the same as the Scorpion, but you get a holster with it. Check out batterystation.com. They have 'em for $30. Use this link. It's a special CPF link. www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm

BradN

Newly Enlightened
I want to cut my Scorpion down to 1x123a size and use it with my KL1. should in an intesting light.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
BradN,

Why not just buy an E1 body? Seems like cutting down a Scorpion and then re-threading it is a lot of work. GUess I'm just lazy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

richpalm

Banned
I just picked up a TL-3 xenon and it kicks ***! Like it so much I've got another one coming. That's the way I'd go.

I think it is kind of a hybrid-looks like it uses the same reflector (stippled) as the standard Stinger, has a whiter bulb than the Stingers and throws like a demon. HOWEVER... the beam does not have a nice round hotspot that is as well-defined as other lights. More oval. Not noticeable in normal use though.

Only thing I'd like to see is a grip ring like the NF-2 has... more comfortable handling lights this way, like a Surefire. Anyone got a grip ring they want to dump? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I could ream it out to fit. So I jammed a couple O-rings around the body temporarily.

I don't think Streamlight is far off with the 175 lumen figure. So if you don't mind a Stinger sized head and the 3-cell length, it's a winner. I'd do it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And spare bulbs are only 6$.

Rich

catch228

Newly Enlightened
Chop: Thanks for all the info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think I do want to start getting into the mods. Your info gives me a good starting place.

Rich: I will be placing an order for the TL-3 xenon shortly! Thanks for the quick review.

BradN

Newly Enlightened
CM
I've got a E1 and love it. My Scorpion sits next to the computer and only gets used when I'm waiting for the thing to boot up. Just thought it would be a neat light, that's all.