ArmyTek Predator question/problem

sundog1973

Newly Enlightened
I recently got a couple of 18650 Ultrafire 3000mAh that I am trying to use in my Predator light, and I am getting very little (edit: power) runtime out of them at full brightness.

The batteries charge to 4.19v, and discharge to approximately 3.7-3.8v when the light will blink three times, then goes into firefly mode. I don't see anything in the Predator documentation that describes this behavior, so I was wondering if anyone here has experienced similar behavior. I'm just as likely to blame the battery as the light at this point. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:

hazna

Enlightened
I would say it is most likely due to the battery. Ultrafire 3000mah batteries have a bad reputation, and usually do not give ~3000mah capacity. I would guess your problem happens more when you are running on brighter modes? (Are you using full stabilisation as well?) If the battery has high internal resistance, it will have trouble providing the power needed to run the brighter modes at full stabilisation.

sundog1973

Newly Enlightened
I would guess your problem happens more when you are running on brighter modes? (Are you using full stabilisation as well?) If the battery has high internal resistance, it will have trouble providing the power needed to run the brighter modes at full stabilisation.

Yes, it is in full stabilization mode. I haven't tried switching into the other modes, but if I reduce brightness to ~25%, I don't experience the problem. At full brightness, a fully charged (~4.2v meter tested) UF 3000mAh 18650 will last less than five minutes. I only paid $15 for two batteries and a charger, so I wasn't expecting much, but that's pretty out of spec, even for batteries with a poor reputation.

I'm debating whether to pick up an AW 2400 or something of the sort, or just abandon the 18650 cell and stick with 2x123 which perform as expected. I'll keep fiddling with it. Thanks for the reply. Cheers.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
try out a pair of primary cr123, and check if the problem is still there.

or try out a different brand of 18650. AW and Redilast brand are recommended.

my guess is the ultrafire 3000mah are not working so well.... they are known for poor performance during high current draw.

aau007

Enlightened
A high internal resistance 3000mah battery can possibly provide 3000mah, although at lower current. The problem with high internal resistance is the current draw. When you applied high current to a high internal resistance battery, you will experience greater voltage drop. In this case, the light will detect low battery. Then you take the battery out to measure it and the voltage bounces back. One way to test the battery is to set it up on a voltage meter and start applying current from low to high and plot the graph to see where you start having large voltage drop. For a 3000mah battery, if a fully charged and cannot maintain at least 3.7v at 2A for a good amount of time, you should start shopping for something else.

sundog1973

Newly Enlightened
Skyfire, the 2xCR123A work as expected, providing full brightness well past the time of the UF3000. I think everyone who is blaming the battery is correct. I'll pick up an AW 18650 and I expect it will work just fine. Thanks, aau007 for the detailed description of what is happening. That sounds spot on with my experience! Cheers.

firelord777

Enlightened
I recently got a couple of 18650 Ultrafire 3000mAh that I am trying to use in my Predator light, and I am getting very little (edit: power) runtime out of them at full brightness.

The batteries charge to 4.19v, and discharge to approximately 3.7-3.8v when the light will blink three times, then goes into firefly mode. I don't see anything in the Predator documentation that describes this behavior, so I was wondering if anyone here has experienced similar behavior. I'm just as likely to blame the battery as the light at this point. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

I think I may have the answer.

If you have the Predator V1.2, then download/ print the manuel, go to setup menu item #3- Selection of power source

Then wait until it blinks twice, because that is the setting for unprotected 18650, which cuts off voltage at 2.8 volts, not 3.7- 3.8

Also, Armytek has included this great awesome feature I just noticed, a built in voltage meter!!!

tun on your predator on line one, loosen, wait for line to change, then tighten and do a quick loosen tight, (this should be fast enough as to not allow the light to change mode) and turn off, and back on immediately. Wait a few seconds, then: the first blinks (count them) is the ones place, and the secondary blinks is the tenths place.

For example, on my predator, it blinks 3 times, then 7 times. This means my 18650 has 3.7 volts. On 1.5 amps, it reads 3.4. Your flashlight should be fine now.

Hope this helps. :)