Fenix E21's lens looks dirty from the inside but only when turned on - anyone noticed

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
This light is one I purchased for my mother, since she'd been using dollar-shop ones - I just didn't want for her to fall in her appartment at night only because she didn't have a decent light.

Now, I received this light this morning - overall, I have no complain at all and despite what appears to be a stain or defect on the inside of the lens - try as I might, I don't notice it when the light is turned off - only when it's turned on do I notice it.

I'm not even sure it's a stain or defect, as it doesn't produce any artifact.

Anyone has also noticed this ?

Cheers

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
Mine looks clean. I see only some blue, but that's the glass coating.

Mine has that whitish circle smack dab in the middle of the lens - I've just found out that up-close it produces a hole in the beam - however, in normal use it doesn't show at all - it only shows when you shine it at your hand/wall or anything else that's 1-2 inches away.

Would you let me know if yours does that too ?

kj2

Flashaholic
Mine has that whitish circle smack dab in the middle of the lens - I've just found out that up-close it produces a hole in the beam - however, in normal use it doesn't show at all - it only shows when you shine it at your hand/wall or anything else that's 1-2 inches away.

Would you let me know if yours does that too ?
When I turn my E21 on, and hold it about 2-3 inches above my white table, I can see a really small "donut -hole"

But it don't affect the beam.

Last edited:

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
When I turn my E21 on, and hold it about 2-3 inches above my white table, I can see a really small "donut -hole"

But it don't affect the beam.

Ok thanks, that means both our lights are alike.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chances are that what you are both seeing is the light shining through the lens. No glass is perfectly clear and as the light goes through it you can 'see' the glass. It shows up as a white circle in the middle of the lens because that's where most of the light is concentrated.

srfreddy

Enlightened
Their TK35 glass has the same thing-they said it had higher transmission than normal coated glass. The hole close up is because the reflector has a hole where the LED itself is.

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
Chances are that what you are both seeing is the light shining through the lens. No glass is perfectly clear and as the light goes through it you can 'see' the glass. It shows up as a white circle in the middle of the lens because that's where most of the light is concentrated.

Makes sense.