I need some machine shop work done.

liverpunch

Newly Enlightened
The selection of machine shops in my are that will do work for an individual is pretty much non-existent. I was wondering if anyone here had the capability to machine an end-cap for a magl!te D-cell flashlight that had a 1.5" diameter ball on it? I figure that it would be like a squared-off teardrop shape, cut from a single piece of steel, and...yeah - that's about it.

liverpunch

Newly Enlightened
Allow me to clarify exactly what it is that I'd like to accomplish. This started out as a conversation among friends who are all martial artists. We were discussing random and assorted weaponry, and one of them mentioned wanting to affix a ball hitch onto a maglite. He apparently looked into getting it welded on, and when that wasn't a possibility, he gave up on it.

I started looking into it for him, and tossed around running the shaft through the end-cap , making a hitch to end-cap thread adapter, and finally, getting a ball cut and then threaded to fit as an end-cap itself. That's the solution I'm currently looking into.

Basically, the solution I'm leaning toward is to have a 2.5" steel ball put on a lathe. The ball would then need the appropriate threads cut into it, along with an o-ring groove.

Last edited: