Pelican M6 lamp life follies

brightnorm

Flashaholic
It's generally accepted that Pelican Has broken new ground with the M6 in terms of throw, long-lasting brightness and remarkably long lamp life in an inexpensive package. However I have yet to see any reports from the field confirming or refuting long life claims, the figures for which continue to vary, often to a ludicrous extent. For example: (Click on)

"75 HOURS ?"

"120 HOURS?"

"220h HOURS"?

Brightnorm

Size15's

Flashaholic
It'll be a while before most people even get close to that value to test it!

Some people can "use" their 6P for a decade on the same lamp.

I guess that "time will tell"!!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
It'll be a while before most people even get close to that value to test it!

Some people can "use" their 6P for a decade on the same lamp.

I guess that "time will tell"!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting that you say that. I have several 6P's, two of which I've owned for about 10 years, both with original lamps still going strong. While I've only lightly used them over the years, the point is that they've given absolutely reliable and trouble-free service over that time, and that includes several drops onto hard surfaces.Regardless of any other lights I may purchase or carry I can't imagine ever giving up my 6P's or any of my other Surefires.

Brightnorm

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
I've had bad luck with Surefire lamps. I regularly have to replace the lamps of my 6P & G2Z. My M500 Lamp went out recently. You cannot predict when a Surefire lamp will go out. So I always carry two flashlights at work, plus a spare lamp in my gear bag.

Size15's

Flashaholic
That's a good position to be in - having a backup.

SureFire are working really hard and investing a lot of money in new ways of making light that will be far more reliable.

Al

Catapult

Enlightened
One would have to go through 120 lithium batteries in order to confirm Pelican's claims. That's a lot of batteries. I only had 8 lithum batteries in my life, and all 8 of them were purchased this year. I have not even finished a lithium battery yet. So I would say the lamp, if the figures are true, would last me over half my lifetime.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
AR15Fan said:
I've had bad luck with Surefire lamps. I regularly have to replace the lamps of my 6P & G2Z. My M500 Lamp went out recently. You cannot predict when a Surefire lamp will go out. So I always carry two flashlights at work, plus a spare lamp in my gear bag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. The lamps I've been using (P60) are as old as the lights. I wonder if that is a factor, perhaps a lucky run 10 years ago, or just very light use on my part; who knows?

Brightnorm

Size15's

Flashaholic
We can discuss the SureFire Lamps in another thread right guys?

This thread should really be just about the PM6 lamp.

Thanks!

Al