looking for a really good edc thrower

duro

Enlightened
Hello all, As you can see I'm new here --and my flashlight addiction has just started.

So far, I have acquired a fenix pd31, and a jetbeam bc10. I am now looking for a nice edc light that specializes in throw. My criteria is; under 100 dollars, maximum OTF lumens, EDC capable, and that's pretty much it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have scoured around the forum, and various flashlight websites, but nothing seems to stick out.

Thanks

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll probably have to provide a few more details to get meaningful suggestions.

What size is EDC for you and are you look for a general purpose light that can throw while still being useful for other things or is this just for throw. In other words what are you going to use it for?

Any light with a XR-E in it will throw more than a XP-G or XM-L. Better throw comes with a larger diameter head so it may not be EDC. Look for max OTF lumens and throw are looking at two different things. So...a few more details would help.

Probably one of the Jetbeam lights would be something to consider.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
These photos are from HKJ, probably second half of last year.

Note:
1) the hotspot brightness: the brightest will give you greatest throw.
2) hotspot size,
3) spill brightness,
4) spill size - note how the 4Sevens may have the widest spill.

Very hard to distinguish here, however if you save these four photos onto yr computer, and view them from your Windows Gallery, clicking the forwards & backwards buttons, it will be much easier to compare the beams, and the results are obvious.

RRT-0.jpg

RRT-0

M10R.jpg

Sunway M10R

Quark.jpg

Quark 123

IFE1.jpg

Nitecore IFE1.

Last edited:

duro

Enlightened
thanks for the responses. I did see that thread. I was hoping for a good thrower 100 dollars, or less. EDC size, so something that can be worn inside the pants pocket every day. No real particular need, other then another excuse to buy a flashlight for a purpose in which my other two aren't as good in :thumbsup:

duro

Enlightened
what about the xeno g10, really looks like a nice light. Not sure what the lux value is though. Is it a good thrower?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello all, As you can see I'm new here --and my flashlight addiction has just started.

So far, I have acquired a fenix pd31, and a jetbeam bc10. I am now looking for a nice edc light that specializes in throw. My criteria is; under 100 dollars, maximum OTF lumens, EDC capable, and that's pretty much it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have scoured around the forum, and various flashlight websites, but nothing seems to stick out.

Thanks

Armytek Predator? JETBeam Jet-III M?

Tripwik

Newly Enlightened
I would have to agree with achimedes there, unless your looking to spend a little more money and time building a light that would fit your needs. Both of those suggestions are great if those are a little too big just go with a Quark. they still have a good throw with smaller size and price.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Id say your PD31. Are you looking for something that throws even further? All I can think of is stuff with a Tubro head, Quark 123^2 Turbo X for example.

duro

Enlightened
Great ideas. I think for this next light, I may be forced to spend more. I have learned about the deft edc light, which is exactly what I'm looking for, however it only has one mode. I'll probably wind up getting all of the lights mentioned, but perhaps building a light may be a viable option. The pd31 is nice, but certainly has some spill --as it's supposed to...How come a lot of light manufacturers don't list their lux rating?

firelord777

Enlightened
Great ideas. I think for this next light, I may be forced to spend more. I have learned about the deft edc light, which is exactly what I'm looking for, however it only has one mode. I'll probably wind up getting all of the lights mentioned, but perhaps building a light may be a viable option. The pd31 is nice, but certainly has some spill --as it's supposed to...How come a lot of light manufacturers don't list their lux rating?

IIRC, PD31 had around 4K of lux, or maybe a bit less or more. All I know is that it has 140 meters throw, but if throw whats your after, maybe the TK20 is a bit cheaper (2 modes) and has 150 meters throw (Fenix rated)

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
How come a lot of light manufacturers don't list their lux rating?

Good idea.
It's actually hard enuff just to get manufacturers to list their Out the Front OTF total output via ANSI standards, let alone list their maximum intensity lux rating at so many meters, or maximum throw at so many meters till the maximum intensity falls to 0.25 lux by ANSI standards.

As the light beam travels through the air, the beam is adversely affected by air temperature, air pressure, air density, humidity levels etc.
Thus we must have international standards for these measurements to be of comparable value.
Otherwise, individual measurements under the manufacturers own set conditions, are not comparable, and mean little...

dunna

Newly Enlightened
Hello There. If u r looking for a very good throw look no further than the Coast/ Led Lenser.

http://www.ledlenser.com/

Look for M1, M5 or P5R if u r looking for an EDC.

Do give me feedback whether u liked or disliked these flashlights.

regulation

Newly Enlightened
WELL,just saw someone posting a thread about the new fenix E11, seems quite fit your requirement.

a EDC, quite long throw. and affordable price.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
IIRC, PD31 had around 4K of lux, or maybe a bit less or more. All I know is that it has 140 meters throw, but if throw whats your after, maybe the TK20 is a bit cheaper (2 modes) and has 150 meters throw (Fenix rated)
Naaaa I have both, the KT20 might have 10 more feet of "throw" but you can see whats going on out there way better with the PD31. The Quark Turbo X throws a little further, 155-165m, and you can see whats going on even better.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duro, much of this thread depends on what you define as an EDC?
Do you want a "real" EDC, which is truly compact and pocket sized, and is a single cell CR123/16340 battery?
Or do you want a semi-compact, and pocketable flashlight using twin/double CR123/16340's?
Or 2 mm wider in diameter is a single 18650?

A lot of people write off the single cell CR123 as being too small for them. Initially, I did this myself.
Little do they know how powerful a single cell CR123 is, and how it can truly be carried in your pocket daily!
A single 18650 is certainly more powerful, but how bulky is that in your pocket? Would you really carry this in your pocket or belt line everyday?
However, the bigger flashlights are far more powerful, and do have their place.
It all depends on what you want..

Secondly, how big do you want the head/reflector combo to be?
Sub one inch?
One inch in diameter?
Or, bigger than one inch?
Like 1.333 inches?
Or, 1.5 inches?
The bigger the reflector, the more throw you will get, but will your pocket be happy with the size?

For example, I know that a 4Sevens Quark Turbo X XM-L has a very good throw - better than the standard R5 version in fact.
However, the Turbo X also has a big 1.5 inch head - and I know many people who will refuse this size as everyday carry in their pocket.

It's like a car.
Rather than saying we want a compact sporty car - we must define if that compact sporty car will be a compact sports sedan, a compact sports hatch, or a compact sports coupe.
Thus there are different battery sizes and configurations, and different head sizes here.

We must be more specific in defining the size; then choosing the flashlight becomes much easier - it will rule out many of the candidates...

Last edited:

duro

Enlightened
Peterharvey73,

This new purchase is turning out to be quite the challenge. My ideal size would be about the size of the fenix pd31, give or take. Obviously, the reflector is going to have to be quite large for this task. I'm thinking the jetbeam, or armytek, may not work out so well for pocket carry on a day to day basis. Perhaps a p60 drop in using a solarforce host...............hrm...