X5 UV vs InReTECH UV adapter?

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
Does anyone out there have both of these to compare? It sounds like both are good solid units. My assumption is that the InReTECH is much brighter since it has many more leds, but you know what they say about assumptions. It seams that they are about the same price now. I like the idea of a smaller unit, but I hate to give up power if there is really that noticeable a difference. It is getting close to Halloween and I would find it much easier to carry and use the X5 if it's performance is fairly similar. Thanks!

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comparison:

X5:
LEDs: 5
Batteries: 2x123 Lithium
Pros: Fits in the palm of your hand
Cons: Expensive not always available batteries

InReTECH:
LEDs: 20
Batteries: 3xD Alkaline
Pros: Longer battery life
Cons: Larger unit

The InReTECH unit puts out a LOT of energy, its very usefull when you want to illuminate a large area

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I don't have a UV X5, so I can't be sure. But if they overdrive the LEDs to obtain better brightness, the LEDs might have half-lives of only 100-150 hours. Since you can't replace the LEDs, the whole flashlight has to be thrown out - or sent back for warranty replacement if the warranty stipulates a 10,000 hour or 100,000 hour LED lifetime like most manufacturers do.

The InReTECH unit actually underdrives its LEDs just a tad, so they'll last 1,000 hours or more to half-life. And there are a lot more of them, so the near-UV output should be higher than the Inova's, even if Inova overdrives its LEDs in the X5. And if the LEDs do eventually poop out, you only need to change the module, not the whole flashlight.

Note: I don't have an Inova X5 UV, so I can't compare them. Your results may vary.

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
That pretty much is what I figured. But I thought I might as well ask. I think the InReTech is a "better" unit for long term use, but I wish it would fit in a smaller unit.

I've heard that the head from the Mag C and Mag D lights are either interchangeable or that maybe the InReTECH adapter would fit a 3C Mag. Is there any chance of that? I would be much happier carrying a Mag C rather than a Mag D.

Thanks.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The Mag-Lite heads themselves are not interchangeable, but the InReTECH module for the 3-"D" Mag should fit just fine in a Mag "C" sized flashlight. The only difference you might notice would be a reduction in battery life vs. the same module in a Mag "D" sized light using the same number of cells (3 in this case).

You'll want to have a Mag 3-"C" cell light. I only have a 5-cell one, and no dummy cells, so again, your results may vary.